Author Topic: Fishing Boat Tragedy  (Read 17682 times)

Offline tuppenze

• RootsChat Extra
  • my mum, nan & aunt
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing Boat Tragedy
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Lynne I will give this site a try

Penny
jackson, reaich, cowie, jappie, morgan, geddes,cox, murray, thomson, whiteley

Offline smithgor

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 February 08 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I think the incident you are referring to was the Shamrock Disaster. Several ancestors of mine died in the same incident. I've not found out much about it but imagine the folk at Buckie's fishing museum will.

Offline tuppenze

• RootsChat Extra
  • my mum, nan & aunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 February 08 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Smithgor

Thanks for the info, I will see if they will be able to help with my research.  If I get any info of interest I will let you know.

Thanks once again.

Penny :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 March 08 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Cowie from Buckie drowned at sea on the 19th Oct 1864 .... he was aged 40yrs (unfortunately I have been unable to find his birth cert)

There were no birth certificates before 1855, when civil registration began, so the best you could get would be a baptism, if there was a record and if it has survived.

What were the names of his parents?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline tuppenze

• RootsChat Extra
  • my mum, nan & aunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 March 08 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

I sadly haven't got the names of his parents.  I have had a look at the baptism records but because I have such little information  and there are so many Alexander Cowies it has been difficult to find which is the right one.

Regards

Tuppenze :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 March 08 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Ah. I assumed that you had them because they are normally stated on a death certificate after 1855.

Yes, it is going to be extremely difficult to work out which Alexander Cowie he was.

LIBINDX at http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp has three mentions of him, but seems unsure whether his father was Alexander or Peter.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 March 08 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Penny

In respect of your earlier query re T-NAMES, there are a number of definitions, including this one from SP:

To-names
To-names or T-names meaning “other names” or nicknames, were prevalent particularly in the fishing communities of North East Scotland, but were also seen in the Borders and to a lesser extent in the West Highlands.

In those areas where a relatively small number of surnames were in use, T-names were tacked on to the name to distinguish individuals with the same surname and forename. The nickname may have referred to a distinguishing feature or be the name of the fishing boat on which the person was employed. These T-names have made their way into the records. For example, amongst the numerous John Cowies of Buckie can be found fisherman John Cowie “Carrot” who married Isabella Jappie of Cullen in 1892. Was this perhaps a reference to the colour of his hair?

The T-name appears on a statutory results page in brackets in order to distinguish it from a middle name e.g. James (Rosie) Cowie, James (Bullen) Cowie, Jessie (Gyke) Murray, and may be designated in inverted commas on the image of the actual entry.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 March 08 09:35 GMT (UK) »
This looks to be the family in 1841, everyone born in the county:

Alex Cowie 25, white fisher
Margt Cowie 21
Janniet Reid 12 (sister to Margaret?)
John Cowie 7
Jamil Cowie 4
Margt Cowie 1

Address: Buckie, Rathven

A submitted entry on IGI for the son John listed above:

John OR Bullen Cowie  Birth: About 1834  Buckie, Rathven, Banff, Scotland
Parents: Alexander OR Bullen Cowie and Margaret Reid

The marriage/ banns for Alexander and Margaret Reid is showing as on 28 NOV 1833 Rathven, Banff, Scotland

From his 1864 death cert that you have seen, it should state the name of his parents.  Was this info not shown?

Regards.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 March 08 10:35 GMT (UK) »
I admit it  :'(  I am getting very confused  :P

The 1864 death of Alexander Cowie Bullen XXnior (almost looks like Junior), drowned at sea, shows him as age 40 (no other details on it relating to parents/wife etc - reported by the procurator fiscal)

The 1870 death of Margaret JAPPY Cowen, age 47, shows her as widow of Alexander Cowie, fisherman. Parents James Jappy and Mary Cowie

This looks a likely christening entry for her, actual extract from the OPRs on IGI:

MARGT. JAPPIE     Christening:  02 FEB 1825  Rathven, Banff, Scotland
Parents:JAS. JAPPIE   MARY COWIE

There is a marriage between an Alexander Cowie and Margaret Jappie on 04 OCT 1857 Rathven, Banff, Scotland.  Parents showing for this Margaret Jappie on the MC match the christening entry and death cert.

Both show as widowers. Alexander age 45, parents William Cowie (deceased) and Elspeth Cowie. Margaret age 33, parents as above.

Children showing for them on IGI:

1. MARY COWIE  Birth: 27 DEC 1857 Rathven, Banff, Scotland
2. JOHN COWIE Birth: 23 APR 1860 Rathven, Banff, Scotland
3. GEORGE COWIE Birth: 25 MAY 1862 Rathven, Banff, Scotland
4. MARGARET COWIE  Birth: 27 OCT 1864 Rathven, Banff, Scotland

This would look to be a likely entry for them in 1861:

Alexander Cowie 51, whitefisher
Margaret Cowie    39
Mary Cowie 3
John Cowie 10 Mo

Address: County Road, Rathven

In respect of the Alexander Cowie with parents James and Elspeth, this looks his christening entry along with siblings:

1. ALEXANDER COWIE Christening: 25 JUL 1809 Rathven, Banff, Scotland
2. WILLIAM COWIE Christening: 23 SEP 1811 Rathven, Banff, Scotland
3. HELEN COWIE  Christening: 08 JAN 1814 Rathven, Banff, Scotland
4. JOHN COWIE Christening: 14 DEC 1815 Rathven, Banff, Scotland
5. JANET COWIE  Christening: 12 OCT 1817 Rathven, Banff, Scotland
6. MARY COWIE Christening: 12 MAY 1820 Rathven, Banff, Scotland
7. MARGARET COWIE Christening: 11 JUN 1823 Rathven, Banff, Scotland

The approximate age of the Alexander above would (thereabouts) match the census ages for the Alexander first married to Margaret Reid and then Margaret Jappy.

What it doesn't match is the death at age of the Alexander Cowie Bullen in 1864  :-\  but given that no other info is included on the cert.....

Monica  :)