Author Topic: Jeremiah COOK/COOKE - Pitton, Wiltshire  (Read 3172 times)

Offline stephenaedwards

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Jeremiah COOK/COOKE - Pitton, Wiltshire
« on: Monday 10 September 07 06:10 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm looking for a birth record for one Jeremiah Cook or Cooke.
I have reason to believe that he was born around 1782-83 in Pitton, Wiltshire.

I know that he married Charlotte Hayter on 11 Feb 1811 in St. Edmund, Salisbury, Wiltshire.

I would like any evidence of his birth, hopefully with parents names.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Stephen Edwards

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremiah COOK/COOKE - Pitton, Wiltshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 December 07 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephen, unfortunately I was unable to find a baptism for Jeremiah Cook(e), or any other Cook(e) in Pitton and Farley PRs around tose dates.

Cheers dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline HeatherCook

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 April 10 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen,
Jeremiah Cook(e) and Charlotte Hayter are my husband's 4th great grandparents.  We are going to Salisbury soon from Australia and I wonder if you have had any success determining the birthplace of Jeremiah as we would like to visit and take photos.  I have an extensive list of Jeremiah's son William's descendants if you are interested in other branches of the family. I have a date of burial date  for Jeremiah as 24th Jan 1843 at Alderbury. I was given this info by another researcher so have no proof that it is our Jeremiah.  I have a marriage certficate for William Cook and Jane Fry 1848 at Pitton and his death at Portland Victoria, Australia 1886.
I look forward to hearing from you soon
Regards Heather Cook

Offline HeatherCook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 April 10 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen,
Not quite sure how to use this site yet but received your msg.
I have Charlotte Cook (nee Hayter) buried 1st Jul 1864 at Pitton. Daughter of Henry(b. 1762 Salisbury) and Mary (b. 1764 Salisbury) (nee Patty).  I believe Charlotte was one of 8 chn born to Henry and Mary Hayter. I have 8 chn for Jeremiah and Charlotte Cook.  Did you research any of James' siblings or are you concerned only with your direct line?  I have been doing all the chn.  We are travelling to Salisbury, Pitton etc in a couple of months time and I hope to take photos of any places connected with our Cook family.
I also have John Cooke father of Jeremiah died 18th March 1789 Idmiston. I also have a photo of William Cook (james' older brother) if you would like me to send a copy. 
I also found what may have been a first marriage for Jeremiah to a Sarah Briant 22 May 1805.  Sarah died 8 May 1808.  There was issue of a son Samuel Cooke b.9 Mar 1808.  I also found possible chn of Samuel and his wife Sarah one son being named Jeremiah William Cooke.
I found also 5 possible siblings for Jeremiah - chn of John and Elizabeth Cooke born at Idmiston between 1778 and 1789.
Regards Heather

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 April 10 02:04 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
From the IGI, Extracted;
Jeremiah COOK
Christened, 03 September 1780, Idmiston, Wiltshire
Parents, JOHN and ELIZABETH

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 April 10 02:15 BST (UK) »
There seem to be 2 John/Elizabeth Cooks christening children around the same time in Idmiston;
Going by the death date for John you have of 1789 these are possibilities for children of John/Elizabeth that you are descended from;
MARY, 31 December 1779
JEREMIAH, 03 September 1780
SARAH, 15 June 1783
ELIZABETH, 24 July 1785
RHODA, 18 June 1786
JOHN, 25 March 1787
And a possible ISAAC, 22 March 1789

There is a possible submitted marriage of John COOKE to Elizabeth DAVIS, 01 April 1777, Gumbleton, Wiltshire

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline HeatherCook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 08:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish for the info.  I am not 100% sure about John's death date (being John the father) as the info was 3rd hand maybe it could have been John the son I will look out my source again.  If there were indeed 2 families having chn at the same time then i guess there is a possibility that i may have some of the wrong chn with the wrong parents. I will look into it again.  I am mostly interested now because we are travelling to the area in a couple of months and I would be sad to get back home to Australia having just missed seeing a relevant location.
Thanks again for your interest
Regards Heather Cook