Author Topic: 1861 census Kendal..?  (Read 1940 times)

Offline LancsLass

• I am sorry but my emails address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • All Census information is Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
1861 census Kendal..?
« on: Thursday 13 September 07 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hello...Can anyone tell me if there are parts of Kendal missing off the 1861 census..?
Looking for William and Martha Bingham..both born Kendal..married 1853..
They appear on the 1871 & 1881 at Highgate, Kendal.. but unless they have been mis-transribed i can not find the family.
There should be children..Ellen(Eleanor)b.1854, Thomas,b.1857,Jane b.c.1870
Can anyone help ?
Is there anyone who could look up the Highgate address to see if they are there in 1861..
Many Thanks.....LL.
Scott,Hampshire,Kidger,Iles/Isles,Buckley,Winterbottom,Broadbent.Davenport,Lancashire,Yorkshire.
Eastwood, Eckersley, Newton,Partington,Forth, Smethurst,Stalker,Simpson,Oldham,Lancashire Lancashire.
Manning,Dobson,Bramwell,Sims/Syms,Cheshire,Staffordshire,Lancashire,Devon,Guernsey,Channel Islands.
Mallalieu/Mellodew. Ashton-u-Lyne/Saddleworth.

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census Kendal..?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 September 07 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Lancs Lass
Looked all round the area of Highgate but didnt see any Binghams,it is not in bad condition
RG9 3969 fol 53 onwards.Went back and forth through the file
Sorry
Isy :(
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LancsLass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 September 07 18:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking Isobel.....this family must have been mis-transcribed..they were definatly around Kendal, we have births in Kendal around this time..How frustrating ! this is the only census we hope to find Eleanor..by the next one she is away from thefamily in service..
Will have to hope Kendal Reg Office come up trumps with her birth certificate (although i am not holding my breath, they have already sent back my first request saying which borough of Kendal..?? ) how do i know ! it just says Kendal..
Best Wishes..
LL.
Scott,Hampshire,Kidger,Iles/Isles,Buckley,Winterbottom,Broadbent.Davenport,Lancashire,Yorkshire.
Eastwood, Eckersley, Newton,Partington,Forth, Smethurst,Stalker,Simpson,Oldham,Lancashire Lancashire.
Manning,Dobson,Bramwell,Sims/Syms,Cheshire,Staffordshire,Lancashire,Devon,Guernsey,Channel Islands.

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 September 07 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hello LL
It says East for municipal ward and Parish Church for ecclesiastical parish over Highgate if thats any use to you
Isy
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LancsLass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 September 07 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Isy.....Have given them another try, giving the last known addresses, fingers crossed if i get the birth certificate that might help with the area for the census later...Its a real mystery i have tried wild cards etc but with no result (unless i am doing something wrong ! ) Yet they are there on Highgate in 1871 & 1881 quite plainly....??
Was just an idea, will have to patient and wait and see..
Really appreciate your help..
Regards
LL.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
I spent some time yesterday searching for every combination I could think of and found nothing.   I wonder if Martha had gone off to have the new baby, Jane, at a relative's home so the family are not together?  When in 1860/61 was she born?   That address might be your best bet for finding them.
Andrea

Offline LancsLass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea....Thanks  for looking...I got the birth certificate for Eleanor(Ellen) Bingham just this morning..she was born at Crossbanks,Scathwaiterigg. in 1854.
In 1851 & 1861 this was the home of her Grandparents Leonard and Jane Harling.
However neither William or his wife Martha are there in 1861....
I spent several hours this afternoon going through each borough District of Kendal but no sign of them at all.....that leaves just one explanation..either they were somewhere else and mis-transcribed OR..they were in Kendal Workhouse.....names there are only the first letter..ie:EB.
I can't find a William B with the right age..or a MB the same..there was a EB but she was 2 yrs younger than the one i am looking for../
Might remain a mystery this one..
At least now i know who Eleanor's parents are...
Many Thanks folks..........your help has been much appreciated..
LL.