Author Topic: Question on where to obtain marriage certs. in Waterford!  (Read 4528 times)

Offline gazza1966

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Question on where to obtain marriage certs. in Waterford!
« on: Thursday 13 September 07 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi There,

Please can someone be kind enough, and point me in the right direction on how to obtain a Marriage Certificate in Waterford, Ireland. :D

I know my 1xgrandparents was married in 1915 in Waterford, and my grandfather was a Protestant, and my grandmother was a Catholic. :)

Kind Regards
     Gary ;)
McFarling - Quebec, Canada. and St.Helier, Jersey, Channel Is.
Flanagan - Waterford, Clonmel Co.Tipperary Ireland. Belfast N.Ireland.

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Question on where to obtain marriage certs. in Waterford!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 September 07 22:53 BST (UK) »
Write to Southern Health Board, Cork Road, Waterford City, and they will send you a copy.

Offline linden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 20:59 BST (UK) »

Write to Southern Health Board, Cork Road, Waterford City, and they will send you a copy.

My g g grandparents were married in St Patricks Waterford 21st April 1846 .  I have the marriage details '
I think that my g g grandmother then converted ,  and the children were raised RC .
They moved to England in 1852  with a son who had been born in Waterford between 1849 - 1851 .  Maybe there were other children who had died .

Would the Southern Health Board be the place to look for baptisms , births or deaths  for their Waterford born children  ?
Regards,
Linden

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 21:33 BST (UK) »
Im not sure but it would be worth asking them, you could ask the Waterford Heritage Centre, Jenkins Lane , Waterford City, they have loads of records for births , deaths and marriages, but they charge a fee for research.

Offline linden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 21:45 BST (UK) »
I'm  intending to visit soon  . Would it be better to wait until I'm there ?
I'm hoping to get some history information as well . Sarah Henston's father was a "constable" . I can't find him in the RIC so I imagine there must have been local constables as well . I'm looking forward spending a couple of days there !
Linden

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 21:49 BST (UK) »
Yes i think its best for you to wait untill you are here, you could also visit the Waterford Archives, at high street waterford, they would have information on the RIC here.

Offline linden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 September 07 09:12 BST (UK) »

Thank you Vasaborg

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 September 07 12:00 BST (UK) »

My g g grandparents were married in St Patricks Waterford 21st April 1846 . I have the marriage details '
I think that my g g grandmother then converted , and the children were raised RC .
They moved to England in 1852 with a son who had been born in Waterford between 1849 - 1851 . Maybe there were other children who had died .
Would the Southern Health Board be the place to look for baptisms , births or deaths for their Waterford born children ?
Regards,
Linden
Civil registration of Protestant marriages began in 1845 but registration of Catholic marriages only in 1864. For a Catholic marriage before 1864 you would need to chek church records.
Civil registration of births started 1864 in Ireland so for earlier records you need to locate the church the baptism took place then check to see if the records still exist.
I'm intending to visit soon . Would it be better to wait until I'm there ?
I'm hoping to get some history information as well . Sarah Henston's father was a "constable" . I can't find him in the RIC so I imagine there must have been local constables as well . I'm looking forward spending a couple of days there !
Linden
It is always better to find as much information as possible before you go to do research (applies to any research, not just Ireland).
Waterford Library might have directories which could list 'Constable' Henston or other family members. Check the library website to see what resources are available and if you can't see what you are looking for try contacting the library to see what is available. Often certain collections are in storage but can be looked at if arrangements are made ahead of time. They might also have local newspapers on file (hard copy or microfilm), census records, etc. You will also be able to find out hours and location before you get there.
Most heritage/genealogy centres charge a very high fee for little information but check the website first to find out fees and what records they hold.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline linden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 September 07 09:53 BST (UK) »

Thank you Aghadowey.

Do you live in Waterford ?
I will go through your list before I go . I was lucky that Sarah Henston must have been Church of Ireland and they married in her church just as registration began , so I found their marriage in 1846.
The first child that I have knowledge of was born ca. 1850 and must have been baptised in a Catholic church .  Peter Doolin was in the Royal Navy , so I need to find out if there's a special Navy church locally . I'm also expecting there must have been other children between 1846 and 1850 .

I have information for Peter , but the Henstons are so elusive . She is born in Tipperary   -  but where !

Regards,
Linden