Author Topic: Anyone have Scottish Monumental Inscriptions Pre-1855 Renfrewshire Vol. 2?  (Read 5843 times)

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Anyone have Scottish Monumental Inscriptions Pre-1855 Renfrewshire Vol. 2?
« on: Wednesday 19 September 07 17:14 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to

Scottish Monumental Inscriptions Pre-1855 Renfrewshire Vol. 2

and also be willing to try a lookup for me?

I'm trying to find out more information about Mary McNab, who was married to William Yeats/Yates. She died, probably in Paisley, somewhere between 1851 and 1855.

Thank you
Isobel

Offline A R Hill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have Scottish Monumental Inscriptions Pre-1855 Renfrewshire Vol. 2?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 September 07 14:00 BST (UK) »
Yes - but I'm afraid it looks like bad news.   There are McNabs in Paisley, Port Glasgow and Kilmacolm - but none that match. The only Yates is in Paisley - but again it doesn't appear to match.

I haven't checked volume 1 (and don't currently have access to it) but the index shows at least one McNab in Greenock, and in Arthurlie. Also Yates in Erskine and Greenock.
Family: Ramsay, Taylor, Dewar, Halley, McQueen (all Clackmannan & Dollar); Fitzcharles (Scotland - Glasgow and Mearns, not Arbroath, Dundee or Grangemouth); Hill & Turpin (each both in Cornwall & Govan); McLean (Glasgow); McCallum & McPhail (Loch Awe).
Topographical: Eaglesham & Mearns (Renfrewshire); Clackmannanshire; Corstorphine (Midlothian).
Research: Gilmour of Eaglesham; Gilmour of Hillhead; Prof. Francesco Jannetti (translator,  La Favorita).

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 September 07 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking anyway. Who was the Yates in Paisley, and which churchyard were they in?

I don't know why Mary is proving so elusive. It's an awkward time - between 1851 when you find them in the census, and 1855 when the death records appear. It's so frustrating. I wonder whether she was buried somewhere else.

Thanks
Isobel

Offline A R Hill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 September 07 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

It's Paisley Woodside cemetery - the stone for a William McGhee who died at Howwood on 1 August 1890 aged 86. It includes his daughter Margaret (wife of Augustus Yates) who died on 1 February 1873 aged 37. There is more info on the McGhees - but not on Margaret or Augustus Yates.
Family: Ramsay, Taylor, Dewar, Halley, McQueen (all Clackmannan & Dollar); Fitzcharles (Scotland - Glasgow and Mearns, not Arbroath, Dundee or Grangemouth); Hill & Turpin (each both in Cornwall & Govan); McLean (Glasgow); McCallum & McPhail (Loch Awe).
Topographical: Eaglesham & Mearns (Renfrewshire); Clackmannanshire; Corstorphine (Midlothian).
Research: Gilmour of Eaglesham; Gilmour of Hillhead; Prof. Francesco Jannetti (translator,  La Favorita).

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 September 07 22:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for looking. I really appreciate it.

I think that I might just have to give up on this branch of the family. :-\ Oh well, plenty of others to search for.

Thanks again
Isobel

Offline A R Hill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 September 07 21:06 BST (UK) »
No worries ;D  But, it would be a shame if that signalled an end to it, even just for now.  Have you not managed to get anything in Renfrewshire that's earlier than that?

Alistair

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 September 07 03:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Alistair

I have got further back on the Yeats family. It's just Mary's family that's difficult. I know that she was alive in 1851, and that she was dead by 1859. The children, in the main, seem to follow traditional naming conventions. That ought to mean that her parents should be James and Mary, assuming that I have no children missing.

She was born, according to the census, in Tarbert, Argyllshire. However she and her husband married in Paisley. Although most of the children were also born in Tarbert, the last child was born in Paisley, and the family was in Paisley for the 1841 and 1851 censuses. I know her name from death certificates and marriage certificates of several children.

I haven't been able to find her death in scotlandspeople. The IGI has several listings for Mary McNab, but just nothing that I can hang my hat on.

That's it. That's all that I have. She's a very elusive lady.

As for the Yeats, the ones in Erskine in Volume 1 are quite likely to be part of this family.  I know that you don't have Volume 1, but does the index show Robert Yates and/or Elizabeth (Gaie) Yates?

Isobel

Offline A R Hill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 01:39 BST (UK) »
Ah. I see what you mean, having quickly looked that lot up on IGI and the Ancestry censuses.  Assuming the Tarbert in question is the one in South Knapdale, that just seems to lead to blanks too. 3 McNab Families, one with a Mary but not the right age.

I'm afraid the (hierarchical) indexes just direct you to relevant cemeteries, then to particular entries in each cemetery. So you need to look up the book to see whether its a relevant entry. I do own a copy of Volume 1, but it seems to have accidentally gone into storage while I move house. I'm hoping to get it back at the end of the year but I'm sure you won't want to wait...

Offline willie49166

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, Isobel, Mary Mcnab was my 3rd great grandmother.
I too had a problem finding her death, but eventually found it listed in old parish records.
She died on the 5th of January 1853 at 5 North Croft Street, Paisley.
She was 49 years old when she died.
Although it doesn't state who her parents were it says she was born on Islay.
She married William Yates of Houston in 1828 in Paisley and had seven children.
Carole