Author Topic: Yates Family  (Read 16340 times)

Offline gigi0218

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Yates Family
« on: Saturday 22 September 07 13:09 BST (UK) »
Looking for information On Robert Yates brn Oct 1847, father was James Charles brn abt 1822 & mother Elizabeth Foster brn abt 1823. James & Elizabeth were married in 1847 in Preston and Robert married Alice Woodall in Preston in 1866.

Offline redjed1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Yates Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 September 07 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi gigi

Welcome to RootsChat.

I found this family in 1861 census, father and mother have right names, but no Robert (age14) - don't know if they are yours?

17 Ribbleton Lane, Preston [RG09/3139/41/8]

James Yates, 41, cotton weaver, b Boughton
Elizabeth, 39, cotton weaver, b Over-Wyresdale
William (10), John (6), Ellen (4) all b Preston
+ 2 boarders

John
[Liverpool, unless stated]
Duvall, Unwin, Hughes (ex-Mold), Holland, Forrest, Templeton (ex-Kings Lynn), Hazlehurst (ex-Nantwich), Grier, Foulkes (ex-Denbigh), Williams (ex-Conway + Anglesey), Mulvey, Wood (ex-Lancaster), Lambert (Liverpool + Lake District), Roberts (Anglesey, Denbigh, Liverpool), Sparks, Wren (ex-Ulverston), Hayes, Smith (ex-Dunham Massey)

Offline gigi0218

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 September 07 13:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks John,
I am pretty sure that is my family.According to their marriage cert James & Elizabeth were 23 at the time & James was a weaver & lived on Little Barn St. I have been on this for years. Robert has been tracked a few times as a border, but nothing concert once with Dorthy Harley and once with the Sheeden family but can not verify either. Why is the question.

Thanks again
gigi

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 September 07 14:18 BST (UK) »

Hello gigi

Welcome also from me. Sorry to be a nuisance but....

Do you happen to know (for sure) where Robert was born ?

There does not seem to be a birth registration for him in Preston in 1847 (unless his name was spelled differently on the index). Have you got his birth certificate ?

Have you managed to find him and Alice on any census after they married ?

DS
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gigi0218

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 September 07 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi DS,
Nice of you to respond, Robert was born in Liverpool I have found him listed in volume XX, but can not make out the page number so I guessed and they sent the wrong one.No census reports in England that I can find, but his marriage cert listed both of their addresses as Orchard ST. Robert & Alice had a son Charles in 1869 and immigrated to the US between 1869 and 1870. I can follow them From there. I THINK? LOL

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 September 07 15:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks gigi

That puts a rather different complexion on it (if you are sure about that).

To summarise, therefore, we are actually looking for a Robert Yates born 1847 in Liverpool on the 1851 and 1861 censuses (only).

The Birth Registration in Liverpool looks like XX 325 to me.

I have to say, however, that it seems very odd to me (but others might very well disagree with me) that he should be born in Liverpool when everything else that you have mentioned points towards the Preston area.

Can I be really cheeky and ask why you think that this is the correct birth ? Apart from it being one of the few registrations in the October quarter of 1847, do you have any other evidence to connect him with Liverpool ?

Regards

DS
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gigi0218

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 September 07 15:13 BST (UK) »
The only thing I have on Roberts birth comes from his death cert and was signed by his daughter in 1924. It seems sad that I can not confirm the information. Our family bible started with Charles and only Robert & Alice's death is listed.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 September 07 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

I know its earlier than you are after but there is a baptism at St Clements, Liverpool on the vital records index

9th March 1845
Robert Yates
father James mother Elizabeth
fhl film 1468979
no other information

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gigi0218

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 September 07 15:25 BST (UK) »
That is possible too, since I can not confirm his birth year.
I am an old bird and not very good at all the computer which makes all this even more difficult :'( So all the help is GREAT, thanks so much.