Author Topic: Gordon's/Cooper's of Maryculter  (Read 8388 times)

Offline genewizard

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gordon's/Cooper's of Maryculter
« on: Saturday 22 September 07 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to find details of the descendent's of William Gordon who married Margaret cooper on the 14/06/1788 in Maryculter, Kincardine I know that they had 1 son William born in 1790 in Maryculter, Kincardine and baptised 04/04/1790, and that on 03/09/1825 William jnr married Rebecca Cassie in Maryculter, Kincardine on the 1841 census William Jnr is living with his wife family and mother in Muchalls, Fetteresso, Kincardineshire and is a cattle dealer, but by 1851 William Jnr and his mother have both died, would anyone be able to help me with this family I know by 1861 the family have moved to Aberdeen.
Thank you
genewizard
Dobson,Dixon,Sillitoe,Friend,Vinten,Partis,Punshon, Gordon,Troup,Clarke,Mcneil

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon's/Cooper's of Maryculter
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 September 07 22:36 BST (UK) »
hi pal,

here is whit i have found so far

1841 census- muchalls, fetteresso

william...age 50...cattle dealer
rebecca...age 40
margaret...age 14
mary...age 11
william...age 7
george...age 5
margaret...age 75

1851 census- mansefield, fetteresso

rebecca...age 48...farmer
mary...age 20
william...age 18
george...age 16
george tawse...nephew...age 26 (did you know? son of christina gordon)
eliza melvin...niece...age 20...dressmaker

1861 census- mansefield, fetteeresso

rebecca...age 59...farmer
william...age 28

1861 census- 2 park street, aberdeen

george...age 24...plumber

after the 1861 census was done george married helen anderson in aberdeen, 18/10/1861, so far i counted nine children!!!!

gordon children from the marriage on igi's

george...28/9/1862
william...4/1/1865
catherine reid...31/1/1867
helen...9/12/1868
bella anderson mcbain...5/10/1872

1871 census- 8 donald court, aberdeen

george...age 36...plumber
helen...age 32
george...age 8
william...age 6
catherine...age 4
helen...age 2
margaret...age 3 months
rebecca...mother...age 67

1881 census- 3 nellfield place, aberdeen

george...age 44...plumber
helen...age 42
george...age 18
william...age 16
catherine...age 14
helen...age 12
margaret...age 10
bella...age 8
alexander...age 4
john...age 2
mary...age 6 months

1891 census- 143 hardgate, aberdeen

george...age 56...plumber
helen...age 52
helen...age 24...glove knitter
catherine...age 24...paper box maker
margaret...age 20...glove maker
bella...age 18...glove maker
alexander...age 14...mason's message boy
john...age 12
mary...age 10

1901 census- 143 hardgate

george...age 60...plumber and gas fitter
helen...age 62
catherine...age 34...paper bag maker
bella...age 28...glove machinist
john...age 22...stonemason
mary...age 20...folder lever book

joe
helping wherever possible

Offline hallglen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 September 08 11:19 BST (UK) »
William Gordon and Margaret Cooper's 3rd daughter Christina (c28 Feb 1802) married James Tawse, a carter. They  were living in Margaret St, Stonehaven in 1841 which is also where Christina died on 1 June 1860. James Tawse survived until 9 April 1873. They had 6 children and their son George (c26 Jan 1824) was the nephew recorded staying with his aunt Rebecca Gordon (nee Cassie) in the 1851 census for Manse Field, Fetteresso. Our interest is the Tawse line and in particular James and Christina's second child Robert Tawse (c14 Oct 1825). Their other children that we know of were Margaret (c1 May 1827), William (c24 Apr 1830), Gordon (c15 Dec 1834) and James (c15 Jul 1841).
Hope this helps some!
Scotland: Aberdeen - Sim, Tawse, McLean, Henderson, Hatchwell, McKenzie, Littlejohn; West Lothian - Hill, Macintosh, Hutchison, Spowart, Douglas; Forfar - Soutar, Mitchell, Young; Inverness - Macdonald, Cameron, Stewart.
Ireland: Frazer, Brannan, Fitzgerald/Fitzmaurice, McGladrigan.
England: Havercroft, Dunn

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 September 08 15:58 BST (UK) »
Looks as though there is possibly a will available for download on ScotlandsPeople  for William Gordon jnr (7 pages) - most of it will be legalise, with abt 1 page of will, but they can often yield really useful info.

Regards,   Steve    :O)

Gordon William 09/07/1849 residing at Mansfield in the parish of Fetteresso   Stonehaven Sheriff Court SC5/41

Offline hallglen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 September 08 01:22 BST (UK) »
Thx Steve. Will follow that one up.
Scotland: Aberdeen - Sim, Tawse, McLean, Henderson, Hatchwell, McKenzie, Littlejohn; West Lothian - Hill, Macintosh, Hutchison, Spowart, Douglas; Forfar - Soutar, Mitchell, Young; Inverness - Macdonald, Cameron, Stewart.

Offline hallglen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 04:12 BST (UK) »
The will of William Gordon senior (husband of Margaret Cooper) of Pittyot is also available on Scotland's People, reference SC5/41/6 Stonehaven Sheriff Court, 1837. William died 4 Dec 1835.

Offline amosborne

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 August 19 03:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  I am not sure if you have got further with this cooper family but i have quite a bit of information re the Coopers of Bogfon Maryculter.Margaret may belong to one of the sons of William Cooper and Isabell Forsyth who married in Tarves Aberdeen i presume as that is where they had as far as i have found out 1) John 1721 2) Elias ? 1724 3)Margaret 1735 4)James 1737 and the Elspet in Foveran 1746..it is not long after this that they moved to Maryculter following the Forsyths..this is the family i am trying to chase..in the will abt 1770 Mr James Forsyth left money to William Cooper and Isabell Forsyth..Elspet Forsyth and Alexander Dickie..Ann Forsyth and George Michy..Margaret Forsyth and John Swenton and Jannet and her 5 children and George Forsyth..in the births of Ann Forsyth and George Michy 1st 2 children i think born in Maryculter,Mr James Forsyth in Tillery Foveran is listed as uncle along with George Forsyth in the 1740s and they moved back to Foveran then back to Maryculter along with William Cooper and Isabell Forsyth and Mr James Forsyth and george was sometime in Kintore,This George had a daughter Isabell in 1742 Ardo Foveran who m an Alexander Forsyth brother to James Forsyth who im trying to track..I am not aware if William Cooper and Isabel Forsyth had more children and i have no idea who her parents are yet..I also have no idea why he had Mr in front of his name and used it it a few of the christenings .. would be great if you can add any further info..I hope this can help you..Anne-Maree