Author Topic: Theodore Neilson - census lookup  (Read 1448 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Theodore Neilson - census lookup
« on: Sunday 23 September 07 19:58 BST (UK) »
I would be grateful if someone could look up the 1891 and 1901 census records for Theodore Neilson born 1851 @ Falkirk.

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Theodore Neilson - census lookup
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 September 07 21:55 BST (UK) »
hi pal,

looked on the 1881 census and noticed theodore had a daughter margaret c

1891 census- looks like quarriers home

margaret...age 11...orphan.

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 September 07 23:01 BST (UK) »
Really - that is a surprise as I know that the family had been very well to do, living at Rosehall, which was a very large house in Falkirk!  I wonder what other info there might be on this fall in their social status?

:(

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline Margaret Russell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 September 07 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Coonwarra - Thomas Neilson was ch 19 Feb 1852 Falkirk Stirling f James m Agnes Neil

If you would like the rest of this, contact me personally.

Blessings Margaret

Offline Margaret Russell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 September 07 01:41 BST (UK) »
Hi coonwarra - I don't think I have exactly that for which you are looking but I wondered if the following had any connection to your family:

Kin Help  Scottish Genealogical Services "Extracts From the Records of the Burgh of Glasgow 1573 - 1642"

As often, positions of Baillie were passed down in families, I wondered if Neilson, William, baillie - given in the index  would be a an ancestor.

Pages of the Index can be reproduced for the mentioned fee.

Blessings Margaret

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 September 07 09:06 BST (UK) »
Margaret

How on earth did you find that?  I am very impressed.

Unfortunately I have not traced this branch of my family far enough back to know whether there is a connection or not.

My Neilsons were in the Slamannan area of Stirlingshire from at least around 1700 and probably a lot earlier.

Regards

Offline Margaret Russell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 September 07 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Coonwarra -  I am pleased that you are impressed, as I burn the midnight oil to help my head get impressed on my pillow!!  Do you have all ten children of James Neilson and Agnes Neil?

Blessings Margaret

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 September 07 18:55 BST (UK) »
Margaret

I have the birth details for the children.

However, I have no idea what happened to most of them.  The only ones that I have descendants for so far are Clementina, Norah and Theodore.

Going back up the family tree the furthest back that I have got with this branch is my 5th gt grandfather John Neilson who died in 1818 at Shieldhill near Falkirk.  I have only found 2 children for John and his wife Jean Hay - these are John b1782 and Christian b1784, both at Slamannnan.

If anyone is able to add to this info I would be grateful for their assistance.