Author Topic: 1841 Tynemouth Census-Elizabeth Emerey/ Emery  (Read 3047 times)

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1841 Tynemouth Census-Elizabeth Emerey/ Emery
« on: Wednesday 26 September 07 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hello

1841 Census, woman I believe to be my ggg granny listed in Tynemouth (Elizabeth Emery or variant, widowed).

I have my gg granny's marriage cert Isabella Emery to Thomas Maughan in 1844, father stated as William Emery, coal miner.

Looking at ages of Elizabeth's children, it would look as if William died between 1835 and 1837.. I would be most grateful if anyone was able to locate a burial in the area for the said William.

I have also been trying to find out Elizabeth's surname..

A little challenge for Geordie rootschatters in this cold weather.

Thanks,  Anne
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Tynemouth Census-Elizabeth Emerey/ Emery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 23:14 BST (UK) »
Can you tell us the references for the 1841 census so we can look at it ourselves?  I am having a hard time finding it.

I looked in Tynemouth Christ Church burial up to 1839 and I see no William Emery.

Do you have Isabella in a later census that might tell us where she was born?

I don't see a William Emery marriage to anyone named Elizabeth as early as 1812 in Northumberland.  So it might be helpful to know where Isabella was born.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 September 07 11:22 BST (UK) »
Habanero:

I assume the entry you are referring to is Elizabeth Emerey aged 45 at HO 107/ 820/ 19/Folio 14/ Page 21?

As the 1841 census doesn't indicate marital status, how do you know that she was a widow?

Jennifer

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 September 07 07:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks both.. that is the census entry but I cannot recall why I thought Elizabeth was widowed at the time but she definitely is by 1851.

As I recall, Elizabeth was born in Sunderland and Isabella always gives her birth place as "Dorrinton" (presumably Doddington).

Anne
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden