Author Topic: Beveridge/McClusky  (Read 6270 times)

Offline Margaret Russell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Beveridge/McClusky
« on: Thursday 27 September 07 15:48 BST (UK) »
I would be grateful if anyone could give me any information on the following family:

John Beveridge married Janet McClusky 11 Dec 1866 Glasgow

-Elizabeth Archibald b 02 Dec 1867 Bridgeton Glasgow
     -Ann b 23 Feb 1870 Bridgeton Glasgow
     -Christian Sage b 30 Nov 1871 Bridgeton Glasgow

Blessings Margaret

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Beveridge/McClusky
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 September 07 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

Found them in 1871 but are quite elusive after that.

1871 census at 41 Yate St, Bridgeton Glasgow –

John Beveridge 45 b 1826 Glasgow – Hand Mill Worker
Janet Beveridge 36 b 1835 Duntocher
William Beveridge 13 b 1858 Glasgow - Lab in Brewery
Elizabeth Beveridge 3 b 1868 Glasgow
Ann Beveridge 1 b 1870 Glasgow

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Margaret Russell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 September 07 04:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom - Thanks ever so much for the information.

Blessings Margaret

Offline Toni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

Would you know who Janet MCCLUSKY's parents were?  When she was born?  Siblings? 

Note the mother's forename(s)* below. 

My g-gran was Margaret MCCLUSKY born 1857 Glasgow.  Date comes from 1901 & 1911 Nova Scotia Census.  On her mar. cert her parents were given as John MCLUSKY (sic) and Jane* STEVENSON.  Margaret's m/cert's age puts birth at c1855, as does the 1881.

I have Margaret, her husband, two children and her widowed father, John MCLUSKY in the 1881 census, residing at 193 Castle St. Glasgow.

Margaret's sister Mary MCLUSKY born c1852 on her marriage in 1877, gave her parents as John MCLUSKY and Sarah* STEVENSON, deceased.  Mary died in January 1880.  On her death cert, her mother's name is given as Janet* STEVENSON - no notation of mother being deceased.   

I'm quite certain they are sisters, as Margaret brought Mary's son to Canada with her in 1887.  Robert MCKENZIE was born in 1877 and the only marriage around that time, in the area, was between a James MCKENZIE and a Mary MCLUSKY.  We've always been told there was a younger child, a daughter.  I think her name might have been Sarah (found on the 1881 census with father, and brother Robert).

The following was triple checked by 2 separate staff members at the GROS in Edinburgh, as I wanted to make sure I hadn't erred:   

In all of Scotland between 1855 and 1881, the only death of any a STEVENSON with a MCCLUSKY / MCLUSKY spouse was a Janet* STEVENSON who died February 1880, at #7 Kennedy St (a short distance from 193 Castle). 

Parents of that Janet STEVENSON were John STEVENSON, school master and Mary WYLIE, both deceased. 

I have yet to find Margaret's actual birth.  Closest I've come was in Paisley Abbey around 1847 with parents John MCLUSKY and Sarah* STEVENSON.  Have found the same family on the 1851, with a 4y old Margaret, as well as a daughter Mary and son John. 

Margaret WHYATT nee MCCLUSKY / MCLUSKY named her first daughter Janet Stevenson WHYATT, born Glasgow 1881 - 1wk old on the census. 

Do you recognize this family at all?  I keep putting the info out there, but am getting discouraged with not finding them for certain and it seems very few are resarching the surname in Glasgow.

Warm regards,
Toni (nee WYATT) ~ Ontario

Reidford: All
SCOTLAND: Brown Clark Bain Elvin McClusky/McLusky Stevenson Wylie Jamieson Christie Donaldson Ritchie
CHES/LANCS: Whyatt Hadfield Smith Travis Barlow
NORFOLK:  Balls Stone
HUNTS: Phillips
NRYKS: Metcalfe Harrison Winn
SHROPS: Metcalfe [Richardson]
SOMERSET: Richardson
GLOUCS: Richardson Jenkins
LINCS: Yarwood
SURREY: Payne
SUSSEX: Heater Yarwood Kennelly Rowland Antram    Martin Lanstead
DEVON: Clark Mill Adams Tremeer Brook Newcombe Jewell Baker Dart Witheridge Lyell

Offline Toni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Correction:

Mary MCKENZIE nee MCLUSKY died - 21st January 1881, not 1880. 

Toni
SCOTLAND: Brown Clark Bain Elvin McClusky/McLusky Stevenson Wylie Jamieson Christie Donaldson Ritchie
DEVON: Clark Mill Adams Tremeer Brook Newcombe Jewell Baker Dart Witheridge Lyell

Offline Margaret Russell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 November 07 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi toni - I know nothing more about my folks than what is printed above.
However, I looked all over Family Search to see if I could find anything ofr you, but came up dry.
What I did find, that may or may not be of any value was a Margaret Stevenson b 28 May 1859 in stesrton Ayr whose mother was Janet Stevenson.  Do you think that Janet may have had this child and then married John McClusky - only a thought.
I also found a John McLusky who married a Sarah Stevenson 24 Sep 1841 in Lochwinnoch Renfrew.

I wish you every success with your venture.

Blessings Margaret

Offline Toni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 November 07 04:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

Yes the (only) one in Lochwinnoch is the one I found too.  A Janet STEVENSON was born there around c1822 (off the top of my head), plus a couple with same names as our Janet's parents were married there in 1799.  Exact same names.  From age at death, I reckoned our Janet's birth to be c1824.  If she were the youngest of a large family (say 12 children) ...  with a child born every two years, our Janet would fit!  From everything I've gathered, same names etc, I deduced it is quite possible "Sarah" & "Janet" (Mary's marriage/death for instance), were either sisters who married the same John MCLUSKY or she was the same person. 

The only thing that really doesn't fit is the date of birth my g-gran gave the census takers in Nova Scotia - 1857 and is subsquently on her 1943 death cert.  But she told family she was born 1855 and her mar. cert & Glasgow census give the same date.  The idea that she lied about her age has been in my mind for quite a long time now.  I'm of a mind she was really born c1847.

I'm also quite certain she had some formal schooling as well or was taught very well at home.  This is based on her life in Canada, and what she did for support and educate her 9 children after her husband died in 1899.  So again, this fits with having a grandfather who was a school master too. 

This Margaret MCCLUSKY is driving me mad!  I'm fairl sure she was born long before 1859 and Ayrshire has never been mentioned in connection with her.

Many thanks for your help.  Toni ~ Ontario

Offline Toni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 November 07 04:28 GMT (UK) »
Margaret it just struck me.  Re the naming patterns of Scotland.  My own g-grannie followed it with all her 12 children (first 2 died in Glasgow).  Your Janet MCCLUSKY being born in 1866 would fit if she was a 3rd daughter.  My Mary was older than my Margaret.  A next or the next sister born in their family would more than likely be named Janet.  If I have the correct family in 1851, there was a son John.  Add a couple of more sons, then a girl .. ???  If the same family, the mother would be 42 when your Janet was born. 

Kind of makes me wonder.  A friend in Glasgow is going to see what she can find out in the next couple of days/week or two, on my Margaret and her parents.  I'll keep you posted, just in case.

Cheerio ~ Toni

Offline Margaret Russell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 November 07 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Toni - Thanks for your response. My Janet McClusky married a John Beveridge (written up as Beberidge) b 1822 Barony, and they were married 1866 Central District Glasgow. One of their children was an Elizabeth Archibald, which was John's mother's name.
Their daughter Ann Beveridge was b 1870 in Bridgeton Glasgow. She married Hugh Thom Leitch @ 1890 in Glasgow. Hugh Thom Leitch was born 1863. Hugh was a cousin of my grandfather, Charles Hamilton Leitch.
My father, came to Canada in 1921. He said he had a cousin already in Canada, but I know nothing more than that.
If you learn anymore, you can always send me a personal message.

Blessings Margaret