Author Topic: William MAYO (1833 - 1893) farmer of Charminster and Friar Waddon, Portesham  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Peter Ferreira

• RootsChat Member
  • Wilts, Dorset, Berks and Somerset ancestry
    • View Profile
William MAYO (1833 - 1893) farmer of Charminster and Friar Waddon, Portesham
« on: Thursday 27 September 07 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Greetings from Toronto, Canada.

I am seeking to make contact with any descendant or researcher of my cousin, William MAYO (1833 - 1893), who was a farmer in Charminster and Friar Waddon, in the parish of Portesham.

William MAYO was born in Little Piddle, in Puddletown, Dorset, 1833, and baptized in Piddlehinton.  William 25 married Emma CHAMEN 22, 1859, in Charminster, Dorset.  At the 1861 census, William 27 farmed 600 acres in Charminister, with Emma 23, his wife, but no children;  William was a churchwarden in Charminster from 1863 to 1866;  at the 1871 census, William 37 was a farmer of 1,320 acres in Friar Waddon Farm House, in the Portesham census district.  William died 1893 and was buried with m.i. in Portesham churchyard;  Emma died 1925 and was buried with m.i. in Portesham St. Peter’s churchyard.   William and Emma had issue, including:

a.   William MAYO, baptized 1863 in Charminster.  In the 1901 census, William MAYO 37 was a farmer in Piddlehinton, living with Ester MAYO 29, who was born in Fremington, Devon  -  no children enumerated at home.  Kelly’s directory for 1907 shows William in “The Laurels” and a farmer in Little Piddle.  No known children. 

d.   Henry George MAYO, born 1868, baptized 1868 in Portesham.  In 1895, in Dorchester district (BMD ref: 5a / 761), Henry George MAYO married his second cousin, Sara MAYO.  In the 1901 census, Henry G. MAYO was a farmer in Corton, in the parish of  Portesham, St. Peter;  Kelly’s post office directory for 1903 and for 1915 show Henry George MAYO as a farmer in Corton.  Henry died 1950 and was buried with m.i. in the new cemetery on the west side of Portesham  -  there is no other family member in that grave.  Henry and Sarah had issue.   

e.   Frank MAYO, b. 1872 in Friar Waddon, Portesham;  baptized in Upwey 1872;  in 1900, in Christchurch, Frank MAYO married Mabel Eleanor CASE (BMD ref:  2b / 1357).  For the 1901 census, Frank 28 was a yeoman in Farm House, North Street, Charminster, married to Mabel E. 26, with no children enumerated;  Kelly’s Directory of Dorset 1915, shows Frank Mayo as a farmer in Charminster.  Frank MAYO 61 was buried in Upwey, St. Lawrence, 1934.  Mabel Eleanor MAYO 63 was buried in Upwey, St. Lawrence, 1939.   

f.   Frederick John MAYO, was born 1874 and baptized in Portesham.  Kelly’s Post Office directory for 1915 shows Frederick John MAYO as a farmer in Friar Waddon.  In 1915, in S. Stoneham, Frederick married Muriel Groves RICHARDS.  Frederick died 1953 and is buried with m.i. in the new cemetery in the west side of Portesham village, with his wife, Muriel Groves who died 1971.  Frederick and Muriel had issue. 

Best wishes.

Peter Ferreira.

ROPER of Chideock, Powerstock & Winterborne Whitchurch, Dorset
LAWRENCE of Wilts, and Berks
MAYO of Poxwell, Friar Waddon (Portesham) & Frome St. Quintin, Dorset
STONE of Piddlehinton, Dorset
CHISMAN of Castle Eaton & East Knoyle, Wilts
RUMSEY of West Knoyle & Mere, Wilts
HULL of Sutton Benger, Wilts & East Woodhay, Hants
FOWLER of Winterborne Whitchurch & Abbotsbury, Dorset, and of Cudworth, Som.
GAPPER of Winsham, Som.
PHELPS of Shepton Beauchamp, Som.
SYMONDS of Somerset & Dorset