Author Topic: 1871 missing person challenge  (Read 800 times)

Offline Eking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1871 missing person challenge
« on: Tuesday 21 December 04 10:55 GMT (UK) »
if you like a challenge can you see if  you can find this person for me, missing from 1871 census.

Here are all the details on her :-

Betsey Steggell Born 1847  Ipswich ( registered as Betsy Steggall)

1851 - with family in Ipswich age 3
1861 - with family in Ipswich St Clements age 13
1881 - with family in Ipswich St Clements age 33 but listed as Betsey COBB married
1891 - with family in Ipswich St Helens age 43 listed as Betsey COBB married 43 occupation Housekeeper

In 1871 her son George COBB is living with her parents in Ipswich.  I have not found a marriage for her and as she does not appear in any census with a husband, I'm doubting that she was married.

But where was she in 1871 - can only assume she was with her family in Ipswich but did not get listed.

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 missing person challenge
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 December 04 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Elektra

I and probably a few others have tried (using all sorts of combinations of her name) and failed miserably...she doesn't appear anywhere? and the same applies to her getting married?

Her son George Cobb was born Bury St Edmonds abt 1868/9, but that didn't work and I didn't come across a birth reference for him either!

Unless she is the Betsey Steggal aged 25? born Suffolk who is at at Southwark, Surrey with daughter Emma aged 2 born St Georges, Southwark and her mother "Betsey Gittins" aged 60 born Suffolk. Both of the ladies are Widows. I will let you think of reasons why on that one!
Who was Betsey's mother in 1851/1861, if it was Jane as in 1871/1881 it's obviously not anything to do with your BETSEY

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 December 04 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Bryant

Thanks for looking.  I don't think the Southwark Betsey is her as Jane was definitely her mother.

I had not tried looking for George's birth yet  - I expect that is another puzzle.  George turns up in 1881 staying with his Auntie (Betsey's sister), and by 1891 he is married with children so maybe one of his descendants will turn up one day and throw light on the matter !

Thanks

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 December 04 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Elektra

GEORGE ALFRED COBB (his birth cert would be very handy!) born June qtr 1868 at Bury St Edmonds, vol 4a, page 492
obtained by viewing the official records on freebmd...VIEW IMAGES box, then a series of dropdown sections....it costs nought but can be time consuming!

I think she definitely married a Mr Cobb or did she?

June qtr 1867 to Dec qtr 1868, found a Annie Marie Steggles married Bury St Edmonds Sept qtr, 1867, vol 4a, page 731 but Mr Cobb didn't show by cross referencing!

Have a look for the marriage this way....as I said...it's FREE

Bryant 8)
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for that Bryant

I have started extracting all the GRO records for STEGGELL but am working through the 1900's at the moment. 

My  PC very ancient and dialup connection so viewing the images very slow for me at the moment.

I'm still not convinced she actually married a Mr COBB but the birth certificate should give me some info.