Author Topic: ***Rootschat meet - Glasgow - 13/14 October - ****  (Read 32361 times)

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
***Rootschat meet - Glasgow - 13/14 October - ****
« on: Sunday 30 September 07 00:38 BST (UK) »
(continued from http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,232013.0.html)

Here is the provisional programme for the Glasgow meet. 

Because I don't know the final numbers coming, the programme has been built on the basis that anywhere we go to needs quite a bit of elbow room. 

I have also worked on the basis that rootschatters want to chat in real (rather than virtual) space with their colleagues, and the programme should provide a background social historical context for that to happen. 

You will want to eat and drink, so access to cafes etc has been important; however if you want to bring a thermos and packed lunch, be my guest.

And finally, I was conscious that we needed something that would not (a) leave us too exposed to the weather should it rain, and (b) get us tied up with the flow of people going to watch Scotland v Ukraine soccer at hampden Park at 3pm the same day.  All blame about the programme should be directed at me!

Saturday 13 October

1030 - 1300  - The People's Palace and Winter Gardens, Glasgow Green

The People's Palace is a fantastic "museum" displaying the social history of Glasgow from the 1750 to the present day. It is aptly named.  Behind it is the Winter Gardens where there is a nice cafe as well as the sorts of exotic greenery you get in winter gardens.  It is set in Historic Glasgow Green which is worth exploring too if you have time/the inclination.

There is no exact starting time - I just ask you to find me or another willing volunteer in the Winter gardens cafe - I'll be wearing my Rootschat badge, which I suggest you do too - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,104049.msg411757.html#msg411757.

You will however be expected to have fed and watered yourself before we leave at 1300 hrs.

NB I will post more information on how to get to Glasgow Green separately.

1300 -1330 Walk to Provands Lordship, Castle Street

The oldest house in Glasgow, built in 1472, and restored to give a flavour of medieval life in Glasgow. 

(There is an alternative attraction over the road - St Mungo museum of religious life and art; the cafe is based there)

1415-1430 Walk to Buchanan Street subway station

1430-1445 Subway to Hillhead

1445-1500 Walk to Glasgow University for the Hunterian Museum, University Avenue

The Hunterian provides a range of the things you expect in museums, including the Kelvin and Hunter displays.  Close by is also the Mackintosh House (£3, £2 concessions)  and the Hunterian Art Gallery (free).  There's a cafe in the Art Gallery and also at the nearby University Visitor Centre

1700 End of the "official" programme for the day

Especially those staying over will want to reconvene - more to follow on this.

Sunday 14 October

1030-1230 Glasgow Necropolis, Castle Street

This is an optional extra for those staying over, and will be subject to the weather.

---------------------------
Links for the places we are going to:

Peoples Palace and Winter Gardens:
http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/venue/index.cfm?venueid=9
Provands Lordship:
http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/venue/index.cfm?venueid=11
Hunterian: http://www.hunterian.gla.ac.uk/index.html
Glasgow Necropolis:
http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/Parks_Outdoors/HeritageTrails/GlasgowNecropolis/
-------------------------------
I will be sending a PM to all those who expressed an interest in attending, so that you can confirm whether you are coming or not - by Friday 5th October, please.  I need to know who to look out for!

If you've just chanced by this thread, and fancy coming, please do not just turn up, send me a PM to let me know you plan to come.

The advice about staying over and orienting yourself to Glasgow - travel, vernacular (!) etc is here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,232013.msg1238707.html#msg1238707 and still stands good.

I hope this is helpful.  I'm looking forward to it, and I hope you are too.

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rootschat meet - Glasgow - 13/14 October - the final countdown
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 September 07 13:08 BST (UK) »

I'll be wearing my Rootschat badge, which I suggest you do too

One embarrassing hiccup .. the picture?  :o :o

You might have been a beautiful baby Julian .. .. but there could be a slight problem with me walking round Glasgow - on a Saturday with a monkey in tow .. .. or should I say rephrase that and say .. ..  attached!  ;D ;D

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 September 07 14:23 BST (UK) »

I'll be wearing my Rootschat badge, which I suggest you do too

One embarrassing hiccup .. the picture?  :o :o

You might have been a beautiful baby Julian .. .. but there could be a slight problem with me walking round Glasgow - on a Saturday with a monkey in tow .. .. or should I say rephrase that and say .. ..  attached!  ;D ;D

Coudn't you borrow one of Lydart's profile pics?

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 September 07 15:32 BST (UK) »
Just adding a post so I can keep an eye on how things are coming along. I haven't got a badge but I'll do what I do every other time - when in doubt - just ask!

I thought the Glasgow meet had been forgotten about till I got Julian's PM.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Anne

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 September 07 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi ... Ooooer  thanks Julian ...I was starting to worry !!LOL .. Ann if you want a badge doing that you can print for yourself  let me know ...in fact anyone who needs help to make one of their own let me know and I'll email you a copy back ...just pm me with an address. I'm looking forward to meeting you all ...and have found a good friend 's ancestor actually has some of his work ( sculptures ) in Glasgow ...in fact some of his work is in the Necropolis!! 
So I shall be looking for any of James Pittendrigh MacGillivrays work!

Poll
I can do a makeover for Monkey too if you like Pels !! ;) ;)

Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 13:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry Alan and I should be having fist day of honeymoon  at the hospice
ann will keep you informed via the other board as to the time ect so if your up on the friday she will point you in the right direction,
hope to see you there 

Pels Mmmmmmm if you can fit in the wedding on friday can the blushing bride request you shave ( dont like been given a kiss bye chimps)
Sybil
ORKNEY
FLETT, CLOUSTON,  WHISHART, SCOTT, BRUCE,
ABERDEEN AREA:THOMSON, ROSIE, CHAFFEY, ALLAN,               
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
IRELAND:DOUGLAS,BLACK,McAULAY,KEAYS,TWEED,MITCHELL,
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline fivecrates

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi  Julian,

I am just new to Roots chat and found out about Glasgow meet in Chatroom. I would like to come along and meet you all, for further info etc. I am local to Glasgow so no problem where to go, though dont know if I can make whole day.
Anything else I should know.
Thanks
Gerry
Welsh-McMullan,Welsh-McConville,Welsh-McKay,McMullan-McGinn,McMullan-Killen,McConville-Nugent,Nugent-McQuillan,McConville-Robertson,Hughes-McAllister

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 22:43 BST (UK) »
Gerry

Welcome aboard Rootschat and look forward to seeing you on 13th October.  I've sent you a PM (personal message) about the meet.

JULIAN

Offline Blondie1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 23:45 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm I will be coming to Glasgow and looking forward to meeting  everyone.

Val
Gibson  Rushton Woodcock Brownhill Marchant/Merchant  Watts  Coleman Hepworth Senior Robinson, Howard Woodall/Woodhall,  Dunbar, Reed/Read.  Allchurch, Rigney Shepherd