Author Topic: 1841/1851 census lookup?  (Read 634 times)

Offline KateB_2007

• I am sorry but I have turned off my notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841/1851 census lookup?
« on: Sunday 30 September 07 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hello all :)

Can anyone help with a William Leach.  I have a marriage record for him 31/1/1811 at St James, Whitehaven, Cumbria marrying Jane Banks and 5 childrens births afterwards.  Have managed to trace her side back, but not got any further with him.  There are a couple of possible births on IGI, but both are born at Cumwhitton, Cumbria.

Was wondering if they showed on the 1841/1851 censuses and if his birth place would be shown?

Thanks

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851 census lookup?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 September 07 15:37 BST (UK) »
There are various odds and ends which lead one in different directions.  All very confusing.

The 1791 chap  was at Croglin (close to Cumwhitton) in 1841 and 1851.  His wife's name at that time was Mary (of Westallin? Northumberland).  He was a farmer, not an occupation particularly associated with Whitehaven.  There were ARMSTRONG grandchildren in 1851.  In 1861 he was lodging with (I'm guessing) his sister Margaret who was now a DIXON at Moorthwaite, between Cumwhitton and Croglin.

There were baptisms at Whitehaven of children of a William and Mary LEACH

I see one of the children of your William had the middle name Dixon, which was the maiden name of the mother of the 1791 William LEACH. 

There was a burial of a William LEECH at St Bees 12 Jan 1837 aged 56.

The 1781 William had a father called Robert and mother Margaret, both children's names of your William.  However his mother was Margaret HETHERINGTON.

Good luck! :)
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline KateB_2007

• I am sorry but I have turned off my notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851 census lookup?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 September 07 15:42 BST (UK) »
There are various odds and ends which lead one in different directions.  All very confusing.

The 1791 chap  was at Croglin (close to Cumwhitton) in 1841 and 1851.  His wife's name at that time was Mary (of Westallin? Northumberland).  He was a farmer, not an occupation particularly associated with Whitehaven.  There were ARMSTRONG grandchildren in 1851.  In 1861 he was lodging with (I'm guessing) his sister Margaret who was now a DIXON at Moorthwaite, between Cumwhitton and Croglin.

There were baptisms at Whitehaven of children of a William and Mary LEACH

I see one of the children of your William had the middle name Dixon, which was the maiden name of the mother of the 1791 William LEACH. 

There was a burial of a William LEECH at St Bees 12 Jan 1837 aged 56.

The 1781 William had a father called Robert and mother Margaret, both children's names of your William.  However his mother was Margaret HETHERINGTON.

Good luck! :)

Hello, thanks so much for the reply and your help....you can see now why I was confused!  I didn't know one of his children had the middle name Dixon, (that side of my family seemed to like to pass on their mothers maiden name as their childrens middle names), so maybe thats the right one.

I'll investigate further, thanks again for your help, your're a star

Kate x