Author Topic: Elizabeth Stewart Marshall  (Read 6779 times)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Stewart Marshall
« on: Wednesday 03 October 07 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hello again everyone.
Can someone add a little bit of information to my recent discovery?
Elizabeth Stewart Marshall was one of my gtx2 grandmother's sisters born in Portpatrick 23 July 1841, according to Family Search. From the same source I have found a marriage for her to a Charles Campbell on 28 July 1863. Firstly, I would welcome a few further details of her marriage if possible and, secondly, did they have any children and, if so, where?

Can anyone throw any light on her middle name of Stewart? Her mother's name was Jane Caldwell and her father was Alexander Marshall so, presumably, it must have come from their parents. What do you think? She ultimately had a brother Stewart and then a nephew Stewart, so perhaps it was a family name.

Thanks for any information or suppositions! Both are welcome.

Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Stewart Marshall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 14:53 BST (UK) »
hi pal,

here is what i have so far....

1851 census- carpet mill, kirkmabreck, kirkcudbrightshire

alexander...age 46...tinsmith...born whittown
jane...age 43...born kilmaurs
jane...age 20...born kirkmichael
alexander...age 18...new luce
robert...age 13...born kilmaurs
elizabeth...age 9...born portpatrick
sarah...age 7...born leswalt
francis...age 4...born stoneykirk
stewart...age 1...born stoneykirk

1861 census- tinsmith's cottage, stoneykirk, wigtownshire

alexander...age 57...tinsmith
jane...age 53
robert....age 22...farm labourer
elizabeth...age 20
sarah...age 18
francis...age 14
stewart...age 11
james...age 9...born stewart of kirkcudbright
mary...age 7...born stewart of kirkcudbright

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 15:27 BST (UK) »
hi pal,

1871 census- auchencloy cottage house, stoneykirk

jane...age 65
stewart...age 21...tinsmith
mary...age 19...farm labourer
stewart...age 3...grandson(son of robert and mary brown born 7/1/1868)

1881 census- auchencloy cottage house, stoneykirk

stewart...age 31...tinsmith & general dealer
mary...age 40

1881 census- eldrick hill cottage house, stoneykirk

jane...age 73...retired hawker
mary...age 27...farm labourer
stewart...age 13...grandson

1891 census- garthland cottages, stoneykirk

stewart...age 42...general dealer
mary...age 51
andrew kilpatrick...age 10...adopted child
hugh hamilton...age 14...visitor

1891 census- culmore farm cottage , stoneykirk

mary...age 35...hawker
martha hamilton...age 11...niece

1901 census- stoneykirk cottage, stoneykirk

stewart...age 51...fish dealer
mary...age 60

Joe

helping wherever possible

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 October 07 07:39 BST (UK) »
Wow! Thanks for all that information Joe.

I had already found the Marshalls living in Creetown on the 1841 and 1851 census records. However, some of the later information was new to me. Interestingly, I found a headstone in Stoneykirk Churchyard earlier this year placed by Mary detailing a lot of the deaths of her closest relatives. Could you by any chance explain the reason for the statement James and Mary "born Stewart of Kirkcudbright"? Were they adopted so to speak? I also found a record in the Parish Records for 1852 of twins, Jane and Mary Marshall but, subsequently, Jane seemed to turn into James which was strange. They were an itinerant family so anything goes I suppose.

I need to lay everything down in front of me and digest it all. It could be case of "too much information", not from you I hasten to add but also from all my previous research.

Did you find out anything about Elizabeth?

Thanks so much for all you have found. It brings the family to life, especially after visiting that area and imagining their daily activities. I have another fish dealer in Stranraer too at that time named John Williamson!!

I LOVE EATING FISH!

On another point, I am waiting for the arrival of marriage certificates (other side of the family) tomorrow from the GRO but the Royal Mail have threatened a strike. I shalll be so disappointed not to receive them till after the weekend.

Thanks once again,

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline beenie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 October 07 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy,
I found this on the 1881 census

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Also I don't know if you have this already, from the Stoneykirk MI book I found,
Erected by Francis Marshall in memory of Jane Ewings his wife who died at Sandmill 18th July 1896 aged 69 years

Sandmill is a farm in Stoneykirk parish.
Kirkcudbright is the first recorded with Royal Burgh status as far back as 1455. Royal Burgh status gave the town authority to trade with ports outside of Scotland. So I think that's where the 'Stewart of Kirkcudbright' comes from on the headstone.
I can't as yet find any children for Elizabeth and Charles, will have another look. this is my area of research, Stoneykirk and Kirkmaiden.
I hope you get some joy with the certificates.
Regards Beenie

Milwain, Hill, McCracken, McCulloch, Chalmers, Kelly, McMillan, Shields, McClurg, Kirkmaiden and Stoneykirk

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 October 07 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hello again Beenie

Thanks for the latest pieces of information.

Yes, I had copied all the relevant pages from the Stoneykirk MI booklet when we visited the area earlier this year. I visited quite a number of libraries and museums in the vicinity and photocopied the pages containing any mention of a Marshall or a Williamson at Newton Stewart Library.
My husband is getting quite used to our annual "holiday" in Dumfries and Galloway on the "trail of ancestors"!

A funny thing happened last time when we booked into a farm for b&b. At breakfast time I was relating to the farmer's wife what we were doing there and she said that she was also originally a Marshall. What a coincidence!

I love going into Kirkcudbright Museum. As you so rightly said "The Stewartry". I never made the connection before you explained the history of the town. There is often a lady present who is so helpful. I think her name might be Mary and she once advised me to go and visit the local Catholic Priest when I had a query about that particular religion. Also, on the last occasion we were there, an elderly lady called in to the museum and left a diary belonging to her mother (or grandmother). The diary detailed the goings-on at the Star of Twynholm during WW1. It was so sad because the soldiers would meet up there before being taken by horse and cart to catch the trains. Inevitably, certain boys would not come back. By the time the museum closed in the afternoon we were both in tears reading this very poignant little book. I understand it has now been photocopied and, hopefully, displayed in full somewhere in the museum.

Is Kirkmaiden the church on a very steep hill somewhere in the vicinity of Port Logan?

If we didn't live so far away I would really love to settle in that region.

Kind regards and thanks once again,

Judy

P.S. Drat those blasted striking postmen!  Sorry!
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire