Author Topic: McCaffertys' in Donegal  (Read 4487 times)

Offline BoHedley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCaffertys' in Donegal
« on: Thursday 04 October 07 16:10 BST (UK) »
We have an ancestor who moved over to Scotland (Glasgow area) from Ireland.

His name was Hugh McCafferty born 1834 in Ireland and in Scotland married an Ann from Linlithgow and had children named Hugh, Thomas, John, Philip and Michael.

When we visited Ireland we remember seeing lots of McCafferty names in Donegal.

Has anyone  in Donegal got a Hugh of this description in their tree?

We would love to hear from you if you have or alternatively any ideas how to go about researching this name on an Irish website

Cheers from Suffolk McCaffertys  in England
Northumberland -Hedley, Bradley,Hudson
Lancashire - Hedley, Millin
Essex - Fowle, Baillon
Scotland Lanarkshire - McCafferty
Ireland - Hugh McCafferty

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: McCaffertys' in Donegal
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 October 07 05:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Bo:
Here are a few to start you off:
"Just two hundred yards from Doon Well, and in the shadow of Doon Rock, my great grandfather Hugh McCafferty had a farm and married the girl next door, Mary McGinty. The Great Famine, and the financial ruin which resulted, forced them to emigrate, first to Scotland where they had several children, and then on to the USA (Philadelphia), where they had several more, establishing the McCafferty clan in the New World where it subsequently flourished."  http://www.michaelmccafferty.com/adventures/euro/090197.htm

http://www.mccaffertyfamily.com/

Might be a branch of the family so you may want to contact to see if they can help.
Good luck,
Pat

Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline BoHedley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 October 07 08:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Michael -Hugh seems to be a popular name amongst the McCaffertys - always thought it was of a Scottish derivative.

We were fascinated with the Coat of Arms.  Where did that come from and how old?  Its rather splendid.

I will certainly look at the McCafferty family tree and let you know if anything springs out.

Thanks again from Bo (of the Suffolk McCaffertys) no coat of arms sadly!!
Northumberland -Hedley, Bradley,Hudson
Lancashire - Hedley, Millin
Essex - Fowle, Baillon
Scotland Lanarkshire - McCafferty
Ireland - Hugh McCafferty

Offline Bobby Conlon

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McCaffertys' in Donegal
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 02:19 GMT (UK) »
I have a McCafferty or McCaffrey connection in my family. I was hoping to see if anyone here has a Rose McCafferty born about 1848 who marries a John Doherty of Carndonagh. Thanks Bob

Offline kathlingram

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 November 07 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My Mary Dugan/Duggan who comes to Philadelphia in 1878 or so was daughter of Patrick Dugan and Catherine McCafferty..also sometime spelled McLafferty and McClafferty. Her brother Barney Dugan who emigrates also spells it one way and she another.

Catherine may have a brother Hugh and she is related also to McFaddens which also have a Hugh.She also has a brother Owen who leaves a widow Ellen. Still another cousin surname is Coyle.Many of these families come to Philadelphia between 1865 and 1880 possibly sponsored by John & Rose Dugan who come in 1865.

Catherine McClafferty and Patrick Dugan have their last child in Crossroads or Falcarragh near Gortahork.

Mary Dugan marries my Patrick Faunt in Beverly NJ in 1884.A  daughter is named Catherine Jane after Cath McCafferty.

Kathleen Ingram

Offline Bobby Conlon

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, I am taking a swing here, but hoping this info is correct. I have a great great grandfather named William McCafferty or McCaffrey and his wife would be a Jane Doherty. They were probably born around 1830 and they had a daugher named Rose who marries a John Doherty. They also have sons named George and Edward both born around 1850's. anyone have a connection with there folks. I can be reached directly at (*).

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php