Author Topic: What does this mean?  (Read 1850 times)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
What does this mean?
« on: Friday 05 October 07 16:22 BST (UK) »
While having a quick browse in the Harris Library, Preston I came across an index to Burkes (details not known, I was in a hurry and may get a chance to go back next week!).  Next to the entry for my Bankes family at Weston there was what looked like a source record:

1597 - 1632 Molyneux: Ulster

I've looked on the web and see that a Daniel Molyneux was the Chief Herald of Ireland.  Anyone please have any ideas where I can find further information.

I'll take a pen and notebook back with me next week!!

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What does this mean?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 October 07 16:30 BST (UK) »
Could it be Burkes Landed Gentry?

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 October 07 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi jks,

There is an entry for the Bankes family in Burkes Landed Gentry which I already have, I'm trying to find out where they came from before that as it tantalising starts:

Roger Bankes, came out of Lancashire, before 1694......

but I don't know where from.  The coat of arms is similar to the Bankes of Winstanley and Soughton (and even Corfe Castle at a push) but I've been stuck here for years.  I wondered if the Ulster collection is a clue worth pursuing, and where I could find more info (maybe visitations or something similar).

Sorry I wasn't very clear on what I'm looking for but I'm not sure what it is!  ;D  - A brick wall breaker.....

Jean

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 October 07 16:39 BST (UK) »
Yes I see now thought it was the Burkes that you were unsure of. Looking up dead people all the time that does it!!

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 October 07 16:39 BST (UK) »
Daniel Molyneux was the Ulster King of Arms 1597-1632. I understand that the records of the Ulster King of Arms list the coats of arms and pedigrees of Northern Irish. Copies are held by the College of Arms in London, the originals remain in Dublin
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 October 07 16:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan,

I now wonder what the note in italic meant then - I'll have to take another look and see if there is an explanation in the book.  The Burkes entries make no mention of Ireland and if this is a source there is a probable 1-2 generation gap between 1632 and 1694.   I did email the college of arms a while ago but didn't receive a reply.

Jean

Offline G Mlx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 11:29 BST (UK) »
Daniel Molyneux was the Ulster King of Arms 1597-1632. I understand that the records of the Ulster King of Arms list the coats of arms and pedigrees of Northern Irish. Copies are held by the College of Arms in London, the originals remain in Dublin
Stan

Daniel Molyneux Funeral Entries are held in the National Library of Ireland and are available on line.
https://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000540683

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 17:59 BST (UK) »
According to Burke's Family Index, the best coverage of Bankes of Weston in any of the Burke's publications is in the 1952 edition of Burke's Landed Gentry.  I only have access to the 1937 edition, which has an article on Bankes of Weston on page 93 (about a quarter of a page).  If there is anything specific you want checked in this, post again, but it may not be as complete as in the 1952 edition.

I don't understand what you are saying about the connection with Molyneux.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 19:01 BST (UK) »
I think I might be related to Pinocchio :-)

Following the clues I found the family story quite fascinating - and, as usual  it's not what you know, but who you know :-

Origin and meaning of surname "MOLYNEUX"
Origin. derived from the French Moulin
(meaning "mill of the waters")
Region of origin. France

Apparently his family had been part of the (very rich and powerful)  English community on mainland Europe:-

Molyneux, Daniel (1568–1632), herald, was born in Bruges, Flanders, second son of Thomas Molyneux (qv) of Calais and his wife Katherine, daughter of Ludowick Slobert, burgomaster of Bruges. His father had been a member of the English community at Calais and had settled in Bruges after Calais fell to France in 1558.

A Burgomaster was chief magistrate or executive of a city or town.

Daniel Molyneux was born in 1568, in Brugge, West Flanders, Belgium, his father, Thomas Molyneux, was 37 and his mother, Katherine De Bruges, was 32. He married Jane Usher in 1597, in Dublin, County Dublin, Ireland. They were the parents of at least 5 sons and 5 daughters. He died in 1632, in Newry, County Down, Ireland, at the age of 64.
https://ancestors.familysearch.org/en/KLY7-4RB/daniel-molyneux-1568-1632
There's a webpage re the powerful Usher family of Britain:-

http://www.the-house-of-usher.co.uk/history.htm

From the mid 1500s England had Henry VIII who turned against the Roman Catholic Church because they wouldn't allow him to divorce and marry who he wanted so he set up his own Church of England.  Northern Ireland was part of the United Kingdom but Southern Ireland (Eire) was a Catholic country, which was reflected in their laws.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke