Author Topic: Local Historian in Closeburn or Morton, Dumfriesshire  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Thowdfettler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Local Historian in Closeburn or Morton, Dumfriesshire
« on: Friday 05 October 07 22:40 BST (UK) »
I know that my family Williamson were joiners working in Morton then in 1822 appear to have moved to Camplebridge Cottage, Closeburn.   But I have just had it stated from another descendant that they were of the view that the Williamson's at this address were Wheelwrights.  As the family were to my knowledge at this address for about 100 years, I was wondering if there could be any records or old photos etc within the area, that could either prove or disprove te theory.  For to my mind if this is correct then the family would have been well known for they would have got most of their trade from commerce and the gentry.

Please don't run around yourself looking for such items, I will do that if and when I could get a lead.  But it was a thought that every town or village has at least one knowledgeable amateur local Historian.  If this is the case for Closeburn / Morton,  I welcome being put in contact with them, or them with me,  so that I could persue the matter a little more.

Stuart
Willamson, Morton, Annan/Dumfries/Chorlton on Medlock/Hulme/Manchester
Jardine, Applegarth/Dumfries/Chorlton on Medlock/Hulme/Manchester
Little, Dumfries/Chorlton
Metcalfe. Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire/Ingleton Yorkshire
Smalley. Blackburn,
Dyce, Inverurie, Aberdeen
Lobban, Inverurie, Aberdeen
Smith, Inverurie, Aberdeen
Gordon, Inverurie, Aberdeen
Milne, Bucksburn, Aberdeen
Watt, Aberdeen