Author Topic: Carnbee Parish & John Hood of Melrose Abbey?  (Read 3019 times)

Offline janeycherokee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Carnbee Parish & John Hood of Melrose Abbey?
« on: Wednesday 22 December 04 14:15 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping someone can provide me with information on where to find photos of Carnbee Parish in Fife, or a link to a shop with postcards and memorabilia of the area. My great-great-grandmother lived there years ago. Also, I have a book of steel engravings by a man named John Hood, which states he is the custodian of Melrose Abbey (...by and only to be had from John Hood, Custodian of Melrose Abbey). I would like to know more about him and the 'museum' he had there in the 1800s. Finally, not to be too greedy for facts, I would appreciate it if anyone could provide me with the details of where to find information on the Carnbee witch-I have pages from the parish. register dating from the 1600s, but have seen only accusations relating to adultery, fornication, and vandalism...Thank you! I am so glad I found this site, as I have so many questions!

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Carnbee Parish & John Hood of Melrose Abbey?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 January 05 16:59 GMT (UK) »
While Carnbee is in SE Fife, Melrose Abbey is in the Scottish Borders, a good twenty miles SE of Edinburgh, and may need to be raised under Peebleshire
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright

Offline janeycherokee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Carnbee Parish & John Hood of Melrose Abbey?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you-I posted too many queries in one note, rather than divide my questions up into counties/areas. I appreciate your suggestion, and will attend to that. I am still searching for information on Carnbee Parish, and plan to visit England and Scotland this fall...