Author Topic: Romanies/travellers on Shropshire-Welsh border  (Read 2594 times)

Offline homeguard

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Romanies/travellers on Shropshire-Welsh border
« on: Thursday 11 October 07 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to trace a family who were listed on the 1891 census at Llandefalle Breconshire, as travelling hawkers living in a wagon in a field, the parents were Elias Evans aged 47 born Montgomeryshire and wife Isabella 49 born Oswestry,  their  8 children were variosly born at Shrewsbury, Wellington Market Drayton in Shropshire and at Welshpool and Wrexham [so they travelled alot !] any help in tracing the family before 1891 would be greatly appreciated [I should add that I have the son Elias aged 33 and his family in 1901 living Monkland Herefordshire, but not the parents] many thanks.

Offline moomoo98

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Romanies/travellers on Shropshire-Welsh border
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 February 20 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Elias and Isabella Evans are my third great grandparents. Isabella's brother Arthur Roberts is also my third great grandfather, as my great grandparents were second cousins.

Isabella and Arthur's parents were Robert Roberts (b.1821 Oswestry, Shropshire) and Jane Florence (b. 1821 Chesterfield, Derbyshire).

Elias's parents were William (b.1813, the census says Llanrayades, Derbyshire, but this could have meant Llanrhaeder, Denbigshire possibly) and Anne Evans (b.1814 Pontesbury, Shropshire).

Further than this, all I have is information on the Jane Florence line.

Jane Florence's mother was Esther b.1814. Her father was Joseph Bunting b. 1812, Cromford Derbyshire and died 1895 Bakewell Derbyshire.

I'm very sure on all these links, but i've filled in much further back as far as a Walter Rogers 1495-1522 (b. Dartford, Kent). If you message me I can give you access to my tree on ancestry.