Author Topic: Xaver Beinberger from Bavaria to Alberta  (Read 7130 times)

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
Xaver Beinberger from Bavaria to Alberta
« on: Sunday 14 October 07 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm new here, this forum was recommended to me by Berlin-Bob, who I know from
another Forum where I'm moderator for the board of the emigration to America. (*)

I have many ancestors who emigrated from Switzerland to the United States.
My special project which contains all Iten-Families who emigrated in the 19th century
can be read on my own website.

Actually I'm searching for an ancestor who emigrated from Bavaria to Canada.
This is what I could find out about him until now:

- Xaver or Xavier Beinberger, born in Peiting/Bavaria/Germany in 1906.
- He was married with an Anna, but I don't know her familyname and where
  she came from. I also don't know when and where the marriage took place.
- They both died 1967 in Canada, but I don't know where exactly. I'm wondering
  if there were some newspaper articles or an obituary.
- They are both mentionned on the tombstone of the Beinberger-Family on the   
  Cemetery in Peiting/Bavaria but they are not buried there.

Recently I have found him on a shiplist:
Beinberger Xaver, 23 years old, Germany,   
Date of Arrival: 1929/07/05 (YYYY/MM/DD)
Port of Arrival: Halifax , Nova Scotia
Ship: YORCK , North German Lloyd or ALCOA PLANTER , Alcoa

In the "Alberta Digital Archives" in the "Local History Book Index" I found in the book
"Jarvie Our Continuing Legacy - Westlock" a Xavier Beinberger. So I think he lived in
Jarvie in the Westlock County in the State Alberta, but I don't know since when and
for how many years he lived there. I also don't know what is written about him in this
book. Does someone know how I can find out this?

I have found several links to websites about genealogy in Alberta (also here in this forum)
but they were not helpful for me. I also looked up on the GenWebProject but there are not
many facts about Alberta. Generally on the internet one can find a lot of genealogical
information about the Calgary Region but not about de Edmonton Region. The Westlock
County is situated in the north of Edmonton.

I hope someone could help me to find more traces of him and his wife in Alberta.

Thank you and greetings from Switzerland

Svenja

(*) Moderator Comment: that's the forum mentioned here:
Topic: A German RootsChat?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,250692.0.html
Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Xaver Beinberger from Bavaria to Alberta
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 October 07 16:59 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootsweb.com/~canab/lookwest.html - there is someone here who can do a lookup in that book for you.  There are not any Beinbergers in the Canadian phone-book these days but perhaps there are still descendants around if they had daughters.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 October 07 19:31 BST (UK) »
Grüße, Svenja! Ich habe einen entfernten Verwandten in Deutschland, also benutze ich die on-line-Übersetzungshilfsmittel..., aber ich weiß, daß die Sprache ganz oben für beide von uns gemischt erhält, wenn die Sätze und das Ausdrücken von einem Hut ausgezogen werden. Willkommen zum rootschat! Ich bin so traurig, zu sehen, daß Ihr erster Antrag für Alberta sein mußte, da wir Zugang zu so wenig online haben. Die Provinz ist ein sehr reiches... jedoch, Zugang zu den Aufzeichnungen ist gerecht nicht dort! Ich bin nicht warum sicher. Ich nehme an, daß wir warten müssen, bis ein Alberta Regierung Repräsentant an der Genealogie interessiert ist?
Ich denke nicht, daß wir jedermann von Alberta gehabt haben, das auf dem Rootschat Kanada Brett, irgendein sich freiwillig erbietet. (möglicherweise sind sie beim Verstecken, weil sie soviel zu tun haben würden! ) Leider sind Suchen über den vorhandenen Zählungdaten hinaus, es so schwierig auch ist, und ohne die Nachkommen, die unter dem Familiennameen darstellen, kann es ein Wartespiel gerade irgendwie sein. Zugang zu den Aufzeichnungen dort ist 100 Jahre Geburt, 75 Jahre Verbindung u. 50 Jahre Tod. Sie sind um ungefähr $ 60.00 pro CERT nicht Erwähnung Gebühren finden sehr kostspielig, da es keinen Zugang zu den Aufzeichnungen gibt) (das heißt, ging I Hoffnung etwas von Ihrer Beinberger Familie zu Ontario!) Wir passen zweifellos für den Namen für Sie auf, obwohl und Sie wissen lassen Sie, alle mögliche Informationen kommen zu beleuchten wenn!
das ganzes beste, J.J. in Manitoba

Greetings, Svenja!

I have a distant relative in Germany, so I use the on-line translation tools...but I know the language gets all mixed up for both of us when the sentences and phrasing are pulled out of a hat.
Welcome to rootschat! I am so sorry to see that your first request had to be for Alberta, as we have access to so little on-line. The Province is a very rich one...however, access to records is just not there! I am not sure why. I suppose we must wait until an Alberta government representative is interested in Genealogy?
  I don't think we have had anyone from Alberta volunteering on the Rootschat Canada board, either. (Perhaps they are in hiding, because they would have so much to do! )

Unfortunately, searches beyond the available census dates are difficult as it is, and with no descendants showing under the surname, it may just be a waiting game anyway. Access to records there is 100 years birth, 75 years marriage & 50 years death.  They are very expensive at around $ 60.00 per cert. not mention finding fees as there is no access to records)

(In other words, I hope some of your Beinberger family went to Ontario!)

We will certainly watch for the name for you, though, and let you know should any information come to light!

all the best,

J.J. in Manitoba
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 October 07 20:42 BST (UK) »
There are always wonderful people willing to do lookups in all Provinces, so hopefully the site jorose gave you will be able to look for the publication entry. If not, and IF the book is available through inter-library loans, I can send for it and do it for you, but the process means a wait....
so try the site first, and let us know if there is a result ( without mentioning names of the living, we can always ask through a private message what any new names are )

Plus, to be fair I should have said "acess to BMD records just isn't there." as I am not being fair to the usual amount of volunteers on all the genealogical societies who do try their best, just as in all Provinces.
J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 October 07 23:01 BST (UK) »
hello jorose and J.J.

First I would like to thank you for your answers.

I know that it is very difficult to search in Alberta. I don't think that I can find the marriage oder death certificate. I don't know the places where this events happened. In Germany and in Switzerland you can't obtain this documents if it's not a direct relative. I think that Xavier didn't live for all his life at the same place, but I don't have any proof. I also don't know if Xavier and Anna have got any children. I have just sent an email to the Alberta volunteer asking her if she could do the lookup in the book for me. I will let you know if there is a result. I saw that the most recent censuslist which can be seen on the internet ist the one of 1911. Xavier came to Canada in 1929, so the first censuslist with him should be the one of 1931. I'm wondering if there are some address-books or newspapers of the Jarvie-Westlock area (1930-1967).

Best regards

Svenja

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 October 07 23:44 BST (UK) »
I recently spoke with an Archivist who worked for the Provincial Government.  She works in the Vital Records area and we discussed the almost total lack of access to any records that would assist those of us interested in Genealogy.

She understood the frustration but says that nothing will change until the privacy laws have changed.  She also said that to her knowledge there was no ongoing discussion or action being taken to make these changes.

It seems ridiculous considering what is available in other provinces especially B.C. but I wouldn't expect things to change any time soon.

Svenja  I live about 85 k.m. from Westlock but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to go there at this time but possibly later if you don't find any answers.

There is a small Library in Jarvie as well as another in Westlock.  The Library Managers may be willing to help you.  I will PM you their email address'.

dollylee

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hello

dollylee - thank you for your answer and PM.

@ all who were interested in this case:

I have just got an answer of the Alberta volunteer: In the book it is written the following information:

"Xavier Beinberger came into the district in the late forties. He bought and farmed the N.E. ¼ of section 10-63-25-W4. He married in the early sixties. The Beinbergers did very little socializing and therefore very little is known about them. Their bodies were found on their farm in August of 1967."

I have asked her what exactly means "the N.E. 1/4 of section 10-63-25-W4" and also if it was written something in the newspaper about the death of the Beinbergers. Perhaps I should ask this also to the Library Managers.

Now there is the question where did Xavier live between 1929 and the late forties?
I hope he lived anywhere else than Alberta, so I have better chances to find out something more.

Best regards

Svenja

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 00:48 BST (UK) »
we posted together but will post anyway...
Oh, right, Dollylee! forgot that you were Alberta! ::) silly me... ;D
What disgusts me is the agencies willing to stiff everyone for the time to research...and then the huge bill beyond that... To pay 60 bucks for a death cert which might have absolutely no info at all would be crazy...
The Province has created a moneymaking scheme for others it seems by withholding vital statistics.

Here's hoping, Sonja, that there is some real information in that publication...depends on the person who submits. Some people are lavish with tidbits and some brief as brief can be...
Fingers crossed that there is a good deal there to glean from.... :D  J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 01:01 BST (UK) »
Ugh! another posting went south, oh well...
http://abgensoc.ca/homestead/index.htm We checked to see if he had received a western Land grant....He may have received one, but he just landed the year before it ended, and nothing under his forename or surname unless greatly misstranscribed...

section 10,  township -63,  range -25 ,  meridian -W4 ( west of the fourth)
there is a map that you can look at to see just where this was...
I'll modify & add the link to this posting when I remember where it is...