Author Topic: Zion Chapel Merthyr Tydfil  (Read 1679 times)

Offline eirwen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Zion Chapel Merthyr Tydfil
« on: Tuesday 16 October 07 20:09 BST (UK) »
Has anyone please the marriage records of Zion Chapel, Merthyr Tydfil. I have the marriage of Daniel LLewellyn and Ann Lewis in December 1852. This I believe is the marriage of my grandparents. BUT and this is a BIG BUT. On all the birth certificates of all 7 children the name of the mother is entered as Ann LEWIS. Looking at census etc I noticed that now and again the name Davis can look like Lewis. Would like to know what the original Chapel entry might be and if a error has been made. Has anyone else ever had doubts along these lines. Eirwen.

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Zion Chapel Merthyr Tydfil
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 01:35 BST (UK) »
The transcript I have states Daniel Llewellyn md Ann Lewis 6th Dec 1852 at Zion Baptist, MT.

Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eirwen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 15:00 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for the information. My apologies . What I should have said is that all the birth certificates give the mother's name as Ann Davies. Cannot find Daniel LLewellyn and Ann Davies.marriage anywhere  The ages of Daniel and Ann both tally. Daniel's father is Evan and his mother is Jemmima.  Daniel's children are Evan [grandFather's name]  Jemmima [grandmothers name] Daniel [ father's name]   plus Elizabeth ,David,William, Mary Ann and Catherine.Would like to convince myself that I have the correct marriage. But there is that doubt always there.Anyway thankyou for your assistance. Eirwen.

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 October 07 01:05 BST (UK) »
Do you have the marriage certificate? Could she have been a widow when she married Daniel?

If this was a 2nd marriage for Ann - then her maiden name could well be  Davies. Normally on marriage certs this would be stated as Ann Lewis nee or formerly Davies but sometimes this wasn't entered in the chapel records?

It would also tie up with the children's birth certs as they would always state the maiden name rather than any previous married name?

Just a thought  :)
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Offline eirwen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 October 07 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi I have the marriage certificate and Ann was 21yrs old and a spinster.Another coincident is that Ann's father is named as Wlliam and a collier , and as you know one of the children is named William, In 1851 census I have found a William Lewis and he is a collier and his wife is named Ann another child named        Mary Ann. Maybe these are Ann's parents. Will now  try and locate maybe baptisms for Ann and also Daniel maybe these might assist me. Anyway thankyou for your Zion Chapel information. Just a thought is there any other information on the Zion Chapel record. Regards Eirwen.

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 October 07 14:19 BST (UK) »
I only have transcripts so don't know/think the actual register entry would have any other details. Once compulsory BMD certification came in, the registers that most chapels used would follow the standard format for the marriage cert you already have.

All the best

Offline eirwen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 October 07 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Thankyou for all yourassistance. I live in Surrey so if I a can help with the little knowledge which I have of the Surrey area just ask. Eirwen.