Author Topic: Scrogg's Bridge and Scrogg's Mill - completed  (Read 7545 times)

Offline annanbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scrogg's Bridge and Scrogg's Mill - completed
« Reply #18 on: Monday 09 December 19 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie
Thank you for your quick reply.
My records show a George Bell born Feb. 1771.  He was a brother to my direct ancestor, John Bell.
I do not have any more information on George. 
i am planning to travel to the Annan area this summer to visit the lands of my ancestors. Those places mentioned in my previous post. I m hoping to find someone who might have some knowledge of the history of the area and could be hired as a guide to drive me around the Tundergarth area. Any suggestions as to who to reach out to would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Doug

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 09 December 19 09:20 GMT (UK) »
I m hoping to find someone who might have some knowledge of the history of the area and could be hired as a guide to drive me around the Tundergarth area. Any suggestions as to who to reach out to would be greatly appreciated.
Why not start by asking the Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society if they know of anyone? https://dgfhs.org.uk/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline annanbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 June 23 07:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie
The pandemic set me back three years but I am going to be in the Dumfries/Annan area this month on the 23-25th. I will be visiting some historic sites and visiting the area my ancestors labored.
 Do you have a date of death for your George Bell?  I have found that my George Bell was baptized while the family lived in Howgill just east of Annan.  I have him dying in 4/10/1808 age 37.
He is listed in the 1801 Annan Parish Census living with his parents John Bell(Carter) and Mary Anderson.  Siblings John Bell, Andrew Bell(Joiner), William(Sadler) and Mary Bell(manf.1)
I have seen the photo of a Bell couple standing next to a stone building at Scroggs Bridge taken in the early 1900's.  Any idea who they might be?
Regards
db

Offline JoolsAnn123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 June 23 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just trying to re-acquaint myself with this thread.

The photo of the couple is of David Stewart Bell (1879-1949) and his wife, Isabella Cochrane (b1885). He was the son of James Bell and Fanny Watson and was born at Tundergarth.

My George Bell was married to Janet Irving and died after 1841, so definitely not the same one as yours.  There are a lot of Bells!
Bell: Dumfriesshire
Drewell: London
Dyson: London/Leeds
Hooker: London
Hyslop: Ayrshire
Lodge: Middlesex
Manson: Ayrshire
Palmer: Dumfriesshire
Pittuck: Suffolk
Quarm: Devon
Rumble/Rumbold: Wiltshire
Stockwell: London