Author Topic: research on a budget?  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Berni

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
research on a budget?
« on: Thursday 18 October 07 10:53 BST (UK) »
hi
ok now ive finally found the info i needed to make a start from my grandparents
grave.  :D
until i find  my long lost irish relative that i didnt know existed who has left me a fortune  ;)
im on a low income.
i don't even know if it is possible to research my ancestors on a shoestring budget
hurrah for this site its free and the amount of help and knowledge available is amazing without you i wouldnt even be at this stage
please could you advise me on the certs and other records that are most important and which i can just record for now
all advice tips or suggestions most welcome
many thanks
berni
O'Shea. Tailors of Caherciveen. Co Kerry Eire.
Dempsey. Bute dock police. Cardiff, Glamorganshire.
Cadden. Granard, Co Longford, Eire.
O'Brien. Cardiff, Glamorganshire.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: research on a budget?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 October 07 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

There is a lot that can be done without spending out too much although there are certificates or their equivalent that you really do need to see for confirmation, otherwise there's too much guesswork involved.

I'm sure you've already realised that many censuses can be looked up by the generous people on here, also usually you can access Ancestry.co.uk for free at many libraries, but when it comes to finding out the parents of the bride or groom or child, that's when the confirmation is needed. 

If it is at all possible for you to go to your local Record Office - probably in the main library - you might be able to find many marriages and baptisms which will give you exactly the same information as a certificate will and so save that vital £7 on each occasion.  The Record Office also holds microfiche copies of the BMD indexes.

My main suggestion is that when you do discover the Parish Register where a sacrament took place, try to spend a while searching for more of the same name and take careful note of the dates you have searched, then you are building up your own database and you are bound to find out that they are connected somewhere, even if it's not immediately obvious.

Once you've got past the dates of censuses, investigate what other documents the  Record Office might hold, land/rent registers, freemans registers, maps etc.

If you aren't close to the Record Office, then check to see where your nearest LDS Centre is, ordering films from them is relatively cheap and again you should be able to search a number of years on one film.

I'm sure there will come a time when you absolutely need a certificate - think about asking for them for birthday and Christmas presents from friends and relatives.

Hope this has given you some ideas.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Berni

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 October 07 11:45 BST (UK) »
hi mary
 thank you so much for all this wonderful advice im sure im not the only one who needs to look after the pennies
thanks
berni

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 October 07 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi berni,

Was the information you got from your grandparents' grave from a gravestone?

The reason I ask, is that whichever Cemetery Records Office deals with that grave, will (hopefully) have complete records for that particular lair/plot. It's worthwhile contacting them to see if they can tell you if it's only your grandparents who are buried there or if there's anyone else buried there too.

If they're 'obliging', they might also be able to tell you who purchased the lair/plot, e.g. the 'owner', who isn't always the person you think it was!

On occasion, again depending if the people working in the records office are 'obliging', they'll do a print out of all the people with the same surname in that graveyard or cemetery and you might then be able to find relations.

As MaryA said, there's lots of people here who are quite happy to do look-ups for you - all you need to do is ask.

Good Luck!

Anne

Offline Berni

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 October 07 12:44 BST (UK) »
hi anne
i actually visited the grave this week so luckily found grandparents dates of death.
on ancestry i found my grans death but because all the family were from ireland my dad told me his dad was in the grave but i didnt even know what year they came to england.
in the grave also are 2 of their daughters but dont have any info about them apart from deaths
johanna one of the daughters left to go to america to seek her fortune unfortunately after arriving there she became ill found out she was dying so went back home to be with her parents for her last days. so sad she was only 26
they are buried in moston cemetery manchester which told me if i write with grave no and £7.50 they will give details about the grave
im believing they were in uk from about 1948 (another daughters marriage)
both daughters died before their parents
molly died in 1953 but their father didnt die until 1963
on the headstone the parents names are first
time to start saving up my pennies i think
berni

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 October 07 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hiya Berni

Welcome to Rootschat

Try this link for lots of free sites and theres also lots in the beginners room

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,255037.msg1436374.html#msg1436374

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Berni

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 October 07 17:42 BST (UK) »
hi willow
many thanks
berni

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 October 07 18:39 BST (UK) »
No prob

Haven't got lots of spare cash myself so I know what its like

Would suggest if your going to get certificates only go for marriage and births - lots of info to help you on them - ie maiden names and fathers names. Death ones tidy everything up but you can live without them

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Berni

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 October 07 18:51 BST (UK) »
hi willow
thats the sort of thing i wanted to know
many thanks
berni