Author Topic: SOUTHWELL of Lockerley  (Read 1439 times)

Offline technoviolet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
SOUTHWELL of Lockerley
« on: Saturday 20 October 07 17:58 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone else out there is connected to this family?

I am looking for 2 William Southwells, both of whom moved to Brandon in Suffolk and appear in the settlement certificates there in 1805.  One is aged about 25 at the time, the other 30.  One is also witness to the other's wedding in Brandon in 1803...

The settlement certificates are the only indication we have to the place of origin of these two - I'm aware that there is a William bapt in Lockerley on the IGI for 1779, but I've just been given some info which would indicate that he married in that village in 1803.  There is another William bapt in Broughton in 1775, but I've also just found that he did not leave Hamsphire....

Having a point in time where it feels as though I'm so close to cracking where these 2 Williams fit into the Southwell of Lockerley family - but every time I think I've cracked it, something comes along to prove me wrong :-).

Very grateful for any help that may be out there,

Jenna
Worcestershire - Keepax, Emuss, Insley; Herefordshire/Welsh Borders - Evans, Griffiths, Carter; Shropshire - Twigg; Oxfordshire - Chilton, Betts, Walter, Guy; Bristol - Crumpton; Norfolk - Pratt, Larke, Harmer, Felstead, Howes, Hall, Burrell, Lynn, Bunkill, Slapp; Suffolk - Dessent, Ward, Peck, Corbell, Middleditch, Southwell, Allum, Alleston, Warren, Sadler, Palmer; Middlesex/Hertfordshire - Twyford, Dean; Herts - Aldridge, Allum, Uncle, Tyler

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: SOUTHWELL of Lockerley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 December 21 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Violet,

My Southwell clan from Lockerley Hamps go back to the 1600s. I do have several William Southwells. The one William born in Locekerley 1779 married a Mary Harding there in 1803. I am not quite clear as to what info you are attempting to get. Let me know.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England