Author Topic: HARRIS, John - b. 1846 Cornwall died. YKS?  (Read 2050 times)

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
HARRIS, John - b. 1846 Cornwall died. YKS?
« on: Saturday 25 December 04 14:45 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor, Jane Dawe, was born in Linkinhorne in 1849.  At some point, she married John Harris; their first son was Joseph J. Harris, born in Linkinhorne about 1869-70. 

Jane Harris and her son, Joseph, both appear in the 1871 UK census record for Linkinhorne, Cornwall.  They are listed with her parent's family.  John was not in the record.  He may have been at the mines, or have gone elsewhere to seek work.  I know from the children's birthplaces (1881 UK census record for Yorkshire), that the family was in Cornwall through 1874.

In the 1881 UK census record for Yorkshire, John, Jane, and Joseph J. Harris appear.  As well as two children born in Cornwall (1882 & 1884) and two children born in Skelton, YKS. (1877 & 1879).   James Dawe, Jane's father, also is on the record.   The family lived at 76 Jackson St., Brotton, Yks.

Before the next census, the family moved to Lancashire.  I've listed them on that page on RootsChat.

I am interested in finding out more about John Harris.   In 1871, Jane is listed as a copper miner's wife.  In 1881, John is listed as a Pit Sinker.   I would welcome hearing from anyone with a connection to John HARRIS, or any DAWE or BAWDEN from Cornwall (Joanna Bawden, was James' wife's).    Thanks, RedFox
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HARRIS, John - b. 1846 Cornwall died. YKS?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 December 04 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi redfox

I have found your family of John and Jane Harris on the 1891 and the 1901 census both census for the County of Lancashire.

I have saved the image should you need them both for the above census.

If you want them send me a Private Message (PM)

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 December 04 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, bunches.  This will keep me busy checking the rest of the family and give me another direction.  Appreciate it, winston.  RedFox
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Wendy, thanks for your help.  Don't know if I got that info from you or not but did find the 1891 and 1901 census records of the Harris (John & Jane) family in Burnley, LAN. 

Jane's brother, John, his wife Susan, and at least one of their sons, also died in Burnley, Lancashire.  Neil from RootsChatcom was able to get me the date and places of burial for three family members.  The grave register gives John's middle name as Bowden, but all the other  data confirms that it's the same as John Bawden Dawe, my ancestor, and his family. 

That's the reason I'm so glad to be a part of RootsChat.com -- this web site has been almost as much help if not more than any other I've used.  RedFox   :D

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 January 07 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Update.  Still haven't been able to find a registration of the birth of John Harris, but at least I have found a registration of his marriage to Jane Dawe.  It was in Liskeard in 1869.  So at least I know that one government agency recognized him.  I'll be glad when they have even more of the records for BMD online.  I've been able to see the difference from a few years ago.  We can all be thankful for those volunteers and paid workers.   RedFox