Author Topic: church in wythenshawe,manchester  (Read 6761 times)

Offline mayday

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: church in wythenshawe,manchester
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi can you please scan me the picture of church please,it will be interesting to see and could also include in my family tree.

Kind Regards

Jacquie
Reigate and any variations.Burnell,Woolley,Costello,O'Hay,Moran,Mundy.

Offline idr48

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 October 11 12:56 BST (UK) »
hi
does anyone remember the congregational church,browley rd,wythenshawe. It was a old hut I believe .If anyone has any info,photos etc I would love to hear from you  ;)
Mayday

I remember the church that was an old wooden hut on Brownley Rd, Benchill. I lived two doors away from it at 183 Brownley Rd. I was in the cubs there, it was pulled down in the mid to late 1950's and a new Unitarian Church built on the site. The cubs and scouts continued in the new church. The minister was called Mr Gill. I have a photograph (attached) of me in the cubs at the ceremony to dig the first sod of earth to lay the foundations. The lady digging the first sod was the caretaker of the wooden hut, I think she was called Miss Sumner?

Offline mayday

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 October 11 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thankyou so much for this info and showing the picture I can add the info to the family tree and I know mum will be interested in seeing photo. Can I use photo to put in my tree please?

kind regards

Jacquie
Reigate and any variations.Burnell,Woolley,Costello,O'Hay,Moran,Mundy.

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Cancan.

I remember the church from when I was young, but you just jogged something in my memory when you mention freezing water. Friends of my Grandparents who moved to Wythenshawe from Hulme used to go there. He was a plumber and I remember him often doing'Plumbing Work' there.

Why I visited the place on several occassions, I've no idea, as I wasn't living in Wythenshawe at the time.

Got me thinking now, sadly there's no one left to ask.

Eric.
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Offline Henry7

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Back in 1954 I visited a Congregational church-hall in Benchill a few times, to help an office pal who was a church member.

We painted backdrops for a couple of shows they were putting on; one was a play which required a wood-panelled wall behind the action on stage.  The other was for a minstrel show (before such things were frowned upon) - the troupe called themselves "The Congo Minstrels".  I can remember "Mr Interlocutor" sitting front centre in his top hat, a lot of corny badinage between him and "Mr Beezlebub Bones" - and lots of tambourines being rattled.  All pretty harmless stuff, but in all this excitement I cannot remember the actual building at all.  Maybe it was a wooden hut. 

Sorry, this won't help much, but your query brought back some memories.    
Ballingall, Donaldson, Fulton, Gillespie, Ramsay, Walker - in Fife.
Bury - in Salford & Liverpool.
Jack - in Glasgow, Dunfermline & Dundee.
Bermingham/Birmingham - in Cork.
Eagle - in Norfolk, Edinburgh & Glasgow.

Offline Teophilus Amianto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 November 11 22:59 GMT (UK) »
The topic of the Congregational "Hut" has cropped up several times on this list. I do remember the Unitarian Chapel built opposite the Benchill Hotel. As a budding musician I was member of a local band called Paul Fender and the Teenbeats and a lifelong musical career was launched for the singer, local boy Paul Young. Sadly Paul is no longer with us but I wonder what happened to the other boys?
Returning to the Congregational "Hut", the only one I remember was further south on the opposite side to St Lukes.
regards
Chris Bowden

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
Re: Church in Wythenshawe, Manchester
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 November 11 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

183 Brownley Road, is on the opposite side of the old Benchill Pub,  the side of the Road where the pub is, is the Evens numbers.

The Congregational Church was facing Stancliffe Rd, off Brownley Road.

Cancan :)

The Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project, Bookmark our website to see updates and information also. http://mgctp.com