Author Topic: church in wythenshawe,manchester  (Read 6765 times)

Offline mayday

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
church in wythenshawe,manchester
« on: Sunday 21 October 07 16:09 BST (UK) »
hi
does anyone remember the congregational church,browley rd,wythenshawe. It was a old hut I believe .If anyone has any info,photos etc I would love to hear from you  ;)
Mayday
Reigate and any variations.Burnell,Woolley,Costello,O'Hay,Moran,Mundy.

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: church in wythenshawe,manchester
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 October 07 11:46 BST (UK) »
Mayday - I have no knowledge of this church. This appears to be the current URC church in the area
http://www.breadbreakers.co.uk/index.html
There is also a church at Brownley Green
http://www.brownleygreenbaptist.org.uk/
The only church now on Brownley Raod seems to be St Lukes C of E

There's a good local history website for the area at
http://www.wythit.com/Wythit/Local_Activities/Local_History/

Offline tony h

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Mayday,
Vaguely remember it having been to school out there 1965-72. Have a look at
www.images.manchester.gov.uk

And type Brownley Road church into search box. Quite a few churches there but doesn't specifically say congregational. Definitely at least one hut like structure.

Also just Brownley road search produces 85 shots including those above but give some general views in which you might be able to spot it.

Best wishes
Tony
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tony h    1953 - 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gorton Monastery Manchester

Offline Berni

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 20:04 BST (UK) »
hi mayday
i live in wythenshawe
i believe the church you are referring to has
closed down and the land put up for sale
hope this helps
berni
O'Shea. Tailors of Caherciveen. Co Kerry Eire.
Dempsey. Bute dock police. Cardiff, Glamorganshire.
Cadden. Granard, Co Longford, Eire.
O'Brien. Cardiff, Glamorganshire.

Offline mayday

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 12:37 BST (UK) »
hi

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Ive got some good info and will definetly follow this up. I was brought up in Wythenshawe until around 12years old. My mum remembers the church when she was a child. :D
Reigate and any variations.Burnell,Woolley,Costello,O'Hay,Moran,Mundy.

Offline Teophilus Amianto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 January 11 09:30 GMT (UK) »
I beleive the church hut was the Conregational (the Conga as we used to call it) Although I was RC I was sent to Sunday school here (1952?) and used to sing "you in your small corner and me in mine" and Jesus wants me foor a sunbeam" (Some sunbeam I turned out to be!)
regards
Chris Bowden
I remember seeing a picture of the church hut in a book called Wythenshawe looking back? by Sheila Clarke and a co author. If this is of interest I will try and locate more details

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 January 11 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have this book on Wythenshawe, the picture is of a Hut, but on Hollyhedge Rd,  Hollyhedge Farm Church.  The picture shows the Dutch type houses next to it, I know those types of houses were on Brownley Rd, but on the side of the Old Benchill Hotel (now gone) as the houses are now gone due to Metro Link arriving and surpposedly opening in 1999?????  (now believed to be 2016) I don't think the dutch types houses were on that side of the road, but I could be wrong, as the building work is forever happening!

Where the Hut stood was on Brownley Rd, and has now in the past twelve months to current day has Flats being built  on it for People with disabilities to adapt.

I'm hoping I'm talking about the same one, as opposite ST Luke's church, facing Stancliffe Rd, there used to be a Hut there too.

On the Manchester Images website there is a picture of it.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/448/archives_and_local_studies/326/photographs

Put in search box Brownley Road,
it is pictures no.M44112.jpg            no.M44121.jpg

If you click onto the picture a couple of times it enlarges!

Would be nice to know which Hut it was?

Cancan :)
The Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project, Bookmark our website to see updates and information also. http://mgctp.com

Offline Teophilus Amianto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 January 11 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi the images you quote are of the Unitarian church (reatively new in 1960)oposite the Benchill Hotel.  I remember the Unitarian building as a youthfull drummer with a band called Paul Fenda and the Teenbeats, we started our career there.
However the Hut on Brownley Road was the Congregational, it was on the oposite side of Brownley Road to St Lukes but further north oposite the entrance to Stancliffe Road. This is where Jesus wanted me for a sunbeam in the early 1950's!!!
Again I am sure you will find an image of it in Wythenshawe Looking Back.

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 January 11 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Yes, this is the one in the book called 'Hollyhedge Farm Church'

Quote: " This was the only place for Anglican worship in Wythenshawe in 1934. The incumbant the Rev. C. Lamont, posted notices of Sunday School and Services on the door of the farm, and in a very short time the place was overun with children. It soon became obvious that a larger place was needed, and until a chruch could be built a hut costing £27.10 shillings was bought.  This proved to be neither soundproof nor weatherproof.... 'the water froze in the altar vases in winter, and the candles melted over in the summer....'    From 'Looking Back At Wythenshawe' by Jean Greatorex & Sheila Clarke.

Now in it's place are flats called Chigwell Close!!

If anyone would like to see the picture, PM your email address to me and I'll scan and send it to you!!!

Thanks for correcting me!!! :) 

Cancan :)
The Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project, Bookmark our website to see updates and information also. http://mgctp.com