Author Topic: Ancestry DNA testing  (Read 1460 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ancestry DNA testing
« on: Monday 22 October 07 18:31 BST (UK) »
I'm probably the last one to notice this, but I subscribe to Ancestry, and noticed today they're offering DNA testing - paternal or maternal lineage. The prices are given in dollars.

Does anyone know anything about this - or have any RChatters tried it?

I'm curious.
Lesley

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA testing
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 October 07 18:35 BST (UK) »
There was a discussion on Radio 4 (BBC) this evening around, I think, 5:30 p.m. and I didn't catch the whole thing but think there were concerns about security, privacy etc. brought up- might be able to get it again on Listen Again feature on Radio 4 website.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 October 07 18:40 BST (UK) »
I'd gladly pay the price if I could just find the answer to my mystery grandfather. Unfortunately it seems only male volunteers can follow the paternal line - and there aren't any in my case.

I'd be interested to know what the security risks are though. Will see if I can listen to Radio4 later. Thanks for mentioning it.

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 October 07 19:09 BST (UK) »
A Government Department is looking into the matter as there are none of the protective  schemes in place as in our own legal system, the Police and others are ruled by legal statutes but this thing that Ancestry are undertaking are not.  It costs £74.00 by the way. all it can do is put you in touch with other people who have a certain number of matches it doesn't mean you are directly related simply that somewhere along the line you may have a common ancestor.

They say a fool and his money are soon parted, well it will be a cold day in hell when i part with money to anything like that.

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 October 07 19:16 BST (UK) »
I thought there might be a catch!!

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 October 07 19:30 BST (UK) »
Take a look here. It's actually MUCH more expensive than that.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,263014.msg1483334.html

Paul
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 October 07 19:47 BST (UK) »
My interest springs from an old television programme (was it WDYTYA? I can't remember now) where some DNA testing showed the celebrity that his ethnic background was quite different from what he thought. It would be interesting to know where your ancestors sprang from a few hundred years ago - although I don't suppose they'd distinguish between different European countries, which is what I personally want to know.

I'd still be interested if anyone actually tries this - no point in my case as I know my mother's line.

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 October 07 21:50 BST (UK) »

I have the feeling that this type of "research" is going to uncover an aray of nasties. It could actually produce some "surprises" that wern't expected and cause hurt, upset and regret.

Family history as we know it can spring some unexpected stories but DNA could be life changing for some people.

Are you really who you think you are?

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Margaret Richardson (nee Robinson)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 October 07 21:54 BST (UK) »
I would like to try it but won't pay that much. It would be interesting to see what origins i have as i have been told there are many african origined people with the surname Pinkney!

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br /><br />Swansea (Glamorgan) - Reynish/Johnson<br />Yorkshire/Durham - Pinkney/Richardson/Robinson/Gill<br />Wiltshire - Hibberd<br />London/Surrey - Clark<br />Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire - Spencer, Broughton, Sprigg, Martin<br />Cornwall - Sowden<br />Herefordshire/Shropshire/Wales - Worrall<br />Essex - Saville<br />Dorset - Atkins, Govier<br />Devon - Wakely, Parsons