Author Topic: **COMPLETED** Lewes Prison in 1861  (Read 8063 times)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Lewes Prison in 1861
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Paula,
This is the information given out by Ancestry about Andrews;

'Compiled in England during a period from the 1880s to 1965 by a number of Chancery Agents, this is an index of thousands of small cards containing information on individuals, from next of kin advertisements, will notices, unclaimed estates, and missing persons listings taken from all national and several overseas newspapers and many other sources including The London Gazette, notices under the Colonial Probate Act of 1892 and deaths abroad, as well as other official sources including obituaries.

Many of the sources are now extinct. Mostly, the original newspaper cutting has been pasted on the card and this is often annotated either with references from recorded wills or with information gathered from Civil Registration and other reliable sources. The exact dates covered by each source are, as yet, uncertain, but most dates of death are usually in the 20th century referring back to individuals born in the 18th and 19th centuries. The latest date of death found has been 1970. This collection doesn't have a consistent amount of data, so we aren't going to capture it all, just the things we find most frequently. Just fill in the fields you can find information for on the image and don't feel bad about skipping them if there is no information on the image.

These are generally not difficult to read, but they require some thought as to which fields to fill in and which to leave blank,so on a scale of 1 to 5, the difficulty of this project would be a 2.'

As you can see they're not exclusively about Sussex but I've come across many Sussex families & they really will be a great resource once launched!

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Paula42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 17:16 BST (UK) »
Jane

Thanks for the information

Paula
Burgess; Burchett; Piper; Tedham; Anscombe; Wilmshurst; in Sussex
Greening; Merret; Hanman; Heaven; Knight; in Gloucestershire
Parsons; Hill; Angell; Sage; Watts; Lovell; Hurford; Evered; Bull; in Somerset
Hunt; Mintrim; Hampshire
Warth/Worth; Germany, London, Hampshire
Tyler; London, Buckinghamshire

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 17:34 BST (UK) »
It's good to know that the newly launched Criminal Registers are reaping rewards already.  I was one of the many who helped transcribe them and what an interesting task it was too  :)

My thanks to you and the rest of the team who did this - I have just found my George Edmonds (as mentioned earlier in the thread) on there. Six months hard labour in 1870.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 18:32 BST (UK) »
That's great Lizdb  :)

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 20:14 BST (UK) »
Glen the local newspaper the Sussex Express was running in the 1860's indeed it covered the trial of Sarah French who was the last woman to be hanged in public at lewes in 1852/53
I don't know if their archive is online but tis certainly at Lewes RO, i know carol from SFHG has done some transcribing as the onion pie murder is transcribed and online it may be worth contacting her (google onion pie murder)
other than that you could try he Gales site and search British Newspapers 1600-1900 but this is only available to institutions so your local library may be able to help you there.
The current Lewes Prison was opned in 1853 (i think from memory hope it coul dbe 63) before that its located where the North Street car park is now.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 21:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Toni,

I think the Brighton History Centre has the Sussex Express on microfilm, as well as a couple of other Sussex papers of the time, so it's going to be a long Saturday sat there scrolling through them, trying to find where the adverts end and the news starts! There may be something there to put more flesh on the bones.

I've had a quick nose around the 19th Century newspapers and there doesn't seem to be any mention of it, so I guess it was a very local event.

Glen

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 08 August 09 16:31 BST (UK) »
Just to update if anyone is interested.

Eliza was convicted of "forging and uttering an order for the delivery of certain goods" which, it turns out, consisted of "4 lbs. of moist sugar, 1/2 lb. of black tea, and various other articles"

Four months hard labour for a few cups of tea! Bet she never touched the stuff after that.

The shop-keeper went bankrupt a few years later, so I hope Eliza wasn't the cause.

Glen