Author Topic: Need a bit of help please ?!  (Read 2640 times)

Offline angell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need a bit of help please ?!
« on: Thursday 25 October 07 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi !!....am newly "on board" and so pleased that I found the Web Site by accident !!

so...can anyone help me with the surname "Goldring which appears in our Family Bible dated back to 1828 ?

I have just received part of our Family Tree going back to 1200 and something and I still am having probs. working out where The Goldrings link in..

I have details of Goldrings who lived in Dorset in the 1820's (Irwerne Minster are..) but....I just can't seem to trace any Marriages of the Siblings..

Is it possible that this whole Family Emigrated ?

Thanks a lot !!

angell

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need a bit of help please ?!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 07 14:55 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Angell. Hope you find it as useful as I have over the years

Yes, its possible that the whole family emigrated "en masse" but what specific info do you have to suggest that they are not in the area?

Do you have names and places of birth of the siblings, or marriages that we can try to use to find other members of the family?

Glen

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 October 07 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Angell welcome to rootschat.  There are a lot of people on this site who love solving other peoples problems.

Can you give us some precise names and dates and places to work with please.  Or at least as accurate as you can get.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 October 07 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Angell,

For Dorset families www.dorset-opc.com is a very useful site.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline angell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 October 07 15:33 BST (UK) »
Wow !!

Thank you for replying to my first Post ...I am so pleased !!

I have a Samuel Goldring who married Maria Hutchins at Iwerne Minster, Dorset on the 28/10/1851.

They had 3 Daughters, 1 of whom Died in Infancy...

Emily Goldring was born circa 1853 in the Buckland Newton area of Dorset  and her Sister, Ann Jane, I only have listed as the same year but then, they could have been Twins !!??

I have not been able so far to find Marriage Details for the Sisters although I have some checking to do on Death Index Records....(it could be that the Girls did not marry 'cause Emily may have died in the 1920's and is listed as still "Goldring"...??

I found the name Goldring written right at the front of our Family Bible and so far, nobody seems to know why it was put there.....

Our main Family name was *Highmore* and I can actually trace that back to the 1200's but, no Goldrings in sight !!??

Again, Dorset is where we all seem to have come from....the link Name from Highmore is *Mintern* although I have turned up the Names *Toogood, Wills, Taylor, and Perry* from the Highmore Threads....

I found out only this morning that I have an Ancestor in 1587 called *Lancelot* and I am feeling an amazing *deja vu* 'cause I love Medieval History etc. !!

Thank you so much for your help & the tips you gave me...

Best Wishes,

angell

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 October 07 15:47 BST (UK) »
A quick look at FreeBMD gives:

Emily Maria Goldring  Sep 1851  Dorchester  8    45

Ann Jane Goldring   Sep 1853   Dorchester 5a  315

Buckland Newton would come under the Dorchester registration area.

Could these be yours?

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 October 07 16:13 BST (UK) »
If they are, there's a death for a Emily Maria Goldring in 1879 Axbridge, aged 28.  1861 census shows Emily as 9 and Ann as 7.  Samuel was 32 and b. Winterb?????? Dorset.  Maria was 36.

1871 census shows Emily M. Goldring in Maytock, Ash, Somerset, aged 19, a school mistress (b. Buckland Newton).  Ann J. Goldring, 17, b. Buckland Dorset, is a servant in Churchill, Somerset.  I can't spot the parents but I think Maria Goldring might be the one died aged 56 in 1878, and there is a Samuel Goldring with new wife Elizabeth on the 1881 census (married 1880 - see freebmd).  Ann J. Goldring is still a servant in 1881, in Weston Super Mare.  Samuel may have died in 1886 aged 57 (Axbridge district again).

There is an Annie Goldring died 1911 aged 57 in Axbridge district - she might be the 47 year old domestic servant in 1901, in Somerset, born Buckland Newton.  It appears that neither of the sisters married, in this case.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline spiderboy

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Dorset Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 October 07 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Angell and welcome aboard.

Have you already found Martin and Leah Hutchings together with daughter Maria in Iwerne Minster in 1841? HO107. Piece 290. Book: 12. Civil Parish: Iwerne Minster. County: Dorset. Enumeration District: 4. Folio: 11. Page: 17. Line: 22.
Martin HUTCHINGS. 50. Ag Lab. Y. (born in county)
Leah HUTCHINGS. 45. Y. (born in county)
Maria HUTCHINGS. 19. Y. (born in county)
Emily PLOWMAN. 11. Y. (born in county)

There is also another Hutchings family on the same page, which is possibly another connection.

I notice that ancestry shows Samuel Goldring in 1851 as saying he was born in Winterbourne Yelston and also in 1861 when the family is living at Pulham, (RG9. Piece: 1358. Folio: 69. Page: 13) I take this to be Winterborne Zelston and at the site http://www.seleston.co.uk/wzindex.html the name GO(U)LD(R)ING is shown as appearing in the parish records 33 times but it would be necessary to contact the OPC concerned by email for further details. Link can be found on his “Home Page”.

With respect, could I suggest that you might like to add the names you are interested in to your profile and your surnames interests list, this might help you find others researching in the same area.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Spiderboy.
I’m Researching:
CON: Chegwyn, Trayer.
DEV: Bickle, Chegwyn, Gaskin, Hill, Metter, Perry.
DOR: Butcher, Herridge, King, Pain, Palmer, Passmore.
GLS: Martin, Nelmes, Woodward, Young.
SOM: Major, Nation, Sims.
L&SWRailway: Damen, Young.
Wife Researching:
DOR: Burt, Gent, Watts.
STS: Bailey.
SAL: Dawes.
SCT: Raith, Smith, Edwardson. Mollison. Wilson. (MLN & SLI)

Offline angell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 October 07 20:06 BST (UK) »
 A big Thank you from me to :

*Nanny Jan*, *kizmiaz*.*jorose*, *behindthefrogs* & *spiderboy* for all the Info they sent me earlier !!

Bit of a Mystery I have on my hands about the *Goldring" entry in our Bible.....

Will throw another one at y'all....

Been trying to find the name Elizabeth Extence in Records....I have that she was born in Martock, Somerset circa. 1826 but.....it doesn't look as if my Ancestor Alfred Highmore actually married her although I believe they had 2 Sons & a Daughter from their time together ??

Elizabeth is my Great, great, great Grandmother and I would dearly love to find out about her own Mother so that I can complete another *branch*.....

I'm also seeking William Highmore who was Born in Chilthorne Domer and Married a Susan Perry circa 1824 (same village)...had a few probs. finding any Ancester Links but I believe Susan would have been my 4th removed Grandma ??

The amazing thing about my search is that I am finding my Ancestors scattered around Dorset/Somerset villages and the Dorset ones I know really well from when I used to have a Holiday Caravan at Owermoigne, near Warmwell, Dorset yet at that time, I had not even thought about a *Family Tree*....I call it *nice Spooky* 'cause I have always felt really really at Home on Dorset.....

Also calling any *Hunts*, *Wilmingtons* , *Spears*, *Lanes*, & *Gundrys* from Barwick & Chilthorne Areas 'cause.....u be all Related to me thru the Highmore Marriages !!.....Wow....this is so much fun !!

As I am now Disabled and cannot Work, the *Family Tree Thing* has given me so much more to look forward to each day.....

Thank you all again for your help today....

angell