Author Topic: Access to Candian Wills  (Read 2492 times)

Offline mongojoby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Access to Candian Wills
« on: Saturday 27 October 07 12:05 BST (UK) »
I was hoping there might be someone on here who knows something about getting access to Canadian Wills.  I have been researching my great-great uncle who went over to Canada in the 1920s for my grandmother, but as he never got married or had any children, I am hoping I may be able to find out more about him through reading a copy of his Will.

I think have pretty much found all the other information sources I can think of; have his obituary, burial record, and have found him in the Montreal Lovell's directory,  so have information to go on and was wondering whether anyone knows what the privacy laws/ access to this kind of information, from 1985 is like in Montreal, or possibly Ottawa.

Thanks

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Access to Candian Wills
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 October 07 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Monogo,

I can only speak for Ontario wills.  If there is a will it will be public record through the Ontario Court General Division, if they applied for Letters Probate or Letters of Administration.  You would have to know what court it was filed in and could request a copy. 

If he owned land at the time of death, a copy of his will would be registered on title and you would be able to get a copy of it that way as well.

I'm not sure if Quebec is the same as Ontario  :-\

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline mongojoby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Access to Candian Wills
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 October 07 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Thanks a lot for that information, very helpful, unfortunatly think it is much more likely that any will would have been made in Quebec, but still something to look into.

Regards
Jo