Author Topic: Where do I post requests for Marriage certificate help?  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Whizzer

• RootsChat Extra
  • HANNAH the wife of JAMES WHYZAL, d April 3rd 1771
    • View Profile
Where do I post requests for Marriage certificate help?
« on: Sunday 28 October 07 14:59 GMT (UK) »
This is my first message on Rootschat - looks brilliant but takes a while to work out how to use it! 

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me look up a marriage certificate  - Derbyshire - 1830s, but not sure where to post this.  Can someone advise me how to start?

Whysall and name variants - Derbyshire & Yorkshire West Riding

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I post requests for Marriage certificate help?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 October 07 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Whizzer and welcome to Rootschat

The best place to post for requests where you know the county would be under that particular County Board. In this case try http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,211.0.html

Until late in 1837, there wasn't an official certificate for marriage. Some religious organisations had their own certificates (The Society of Friends produced amazingly detailed certificates, with lists of everyone who attended the marriage!), but there should be a parish record of the marriage. Pre-1837, Parish records are the way to go.

Good luck and hope you enjoy Rootschat.

Glen

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 October 07 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Welcome!

If it's pre-1837, and therefore in Parish Records, you might find the records on a CD from a family history society. Or you could visit your local Church of Latter Day Saints ("Mormons") family history centre. They have, or can get, microfilm of the old registers for you to read. And the County Famly History Centre will also have the registers on film, if you happen to live nearby.

And there's always us - a fount of knowledge between us.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Whizzer

• RootsChat Extra
  • HANNAH the wife of JAMES WHYZAL, d April 3rd 1771
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 October 07 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome, Kizmiaz and Meles, and for the starter for 10!  I've now posted my question as suggested on the county board using the link you provided.  What I can't quite work out, though, is how to navigate straight to a County Board when I enter the site?
Whysall and name variants - Derbyshire & Yorkshire West Riding

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 October 07 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Whizzer ;D

When the forum list comes up, find England counties, and hovver over Derbyshire in the blue subtitles.  You can then click on it and go directly to it.

Sometimes people visit the local record office which would have your parish records in it, and they will offer to look it up for you.  I've done look-ups for people in my record office, and even photocopied entries for people and sent them off for people.  And visa versa, I've got some lovely entries from registers in Masham, Yorkshire,  South Africa, and London Metropolitan Office.

I have had lots of help from kind rootschatters, and wouldn't have got very far without them.

Rosemary ;D

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 October 07 18:12 GMT (UK) »
HIya Whizzer

Welcome to Rootschat!

You could try the IGI at Familysearch - a lot of parish records have been transcribed onto there. Its not complete but you might drop lucky http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=census/search_census.asp or FreeREG. FreeREG is a new site and they are in the process of transcribing parish registers. Once again its a case of luck but you never know http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

Failing that as Meles and Subaru said I'm sure someone on the local board will give you a hand when they take a trip up the archive office and have a look for you

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /