• I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:Ryall
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 May 04 08:13 BST (UK) »
Here we go again, not much info this time

marriage
Charles Ryall to Frances Tufnell 6 1 1835

i did find another baptism
Richard Ryall to Henry and Harriett 20 9 1819 unless i copied it down incorrectly.

Yes everyone seems to have left the area there was a quarry at Ham Hill where they used to get all of the stone from and lots fo them worked at Montacute House,(some of my husbands rellies did), Montacute was sold off and did not employ anyone, also i think a lot of Glovers came from that area and that has also died off.

I have been in touch with a local getleman in his 90's in Montacute a Mr Geard and his has written his memories the web site is as follows

www.cy-ic.com/geard

you may find it interesting

going to the lds again on Monday i will look at the other film i have there

All for now

Rosie
stoppard, cater, pinson, arthur, jinks, smith   Birmingham area
pippard, kitson, geard, rugg. montacute, cox  . somerset , bristol and gloucestershire area

Offline AnnieR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Ryall
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 May 04 19:06 BST (UK) »
Fantastic! I tried to find Mr. Geard when I was in Montacute a couple of years ago, but he was out and I had to leave to catch a plane back to the States. Just what I wanted to hear. Sooo interesting! Haven't finished reading it all but wanted to rush my appreciation of all your great effort on my behalf!  Incidentally, it appears that Mr. G. is a Baptist. My grandfather (Henry, son of Richard) was a Baptist minister but in later years (in South Africa) his picture shows him wearing a clerical collar. Could he have changed churches? Also, where was the glove factory? There seemed to have been an awful lot of glovers in the family. Thanks a million!
Ryall, Bolitho, Retallack

Offline Bozzer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ryall
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 April 05 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hello AnnieR,

Are any of your Ryall family likely to still be in the Somerset area? I live in Taunton and one of my friend's surname is Ryall. It's not a common name and I could ask him about his origins etc, if it would be of any help.

My family tree includes the names of Terry (London & Birmingham), Neve (London), Willson (London), Ponisovski (Russia and North of England), Hart (North of England) and Corkett

Offline AnnieR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ryall
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 July 05 20:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry that I have not responded earlier. Got quite muddled as to how to do it, but hopefully, I am now back on track. To answer, I have no idea what happened to my Montacute Ryall family, other than knowing that my gggrandfather, Richard, went off to South Africa. As to why I have no idea. I would love to hear from anyone who could help me track down the rest of the family. Maybe some descendants stayed in Somerset? Maybe your friend's family is a cousin? Thanks, and again my apologies.
Ryall, Bolitho, Retallack