Author Topic: Morecambe Boarding House  (Read 5374 times)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Morecambe Boarding House
« on: Friday 02 November 07 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know how I could find the occupants and/or owners of 192 Euston Road, Morecambe during the 1920's/30's? I know it was a boarding house but I think for long term lodgers rather than holidaymakers. However not sure either way.

Thanks Margaret  :D

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
Re: Morecambe Boarding House
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 November 07 17:52 GMT (UK) »
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is electoral rolls.

Not something I've ever looked into, though, so don't know what their availability is for this period.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 November 07 18:32 GMT (UK) »
What a good idea. I will see if I can trace their whereabouts.

Thanks Aulus

Margaret

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 November 07 21:08 GMT (UK) »
There might be something in Morecambe or Lancaster Library. I was in Lancaster Ref. Library yesterday & I think I saw a Morecambe directory for around 1912.  I could pop in and see if there is a later one for the 20s/30s if you like? Might not be until Monday though.

:) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 November 07 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara

Thanks I would be so grateful. I think the name I am looking for is Ellis but I am not sure. I know they lived there during the 1920's and 30's.

Please don't rush I am quite happy to wait until it is convenient for you.

Margaret

Offline Jackie464

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 November 07 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi - to the best of my knowledge the b&bs in Euston Road were mainly for workers - there were a couple that took holidaymakers.  192 is on the left-hand side going up near the railway bridge. with the then main railway station just behind it, so possibly used a lot by railway workers who would have been able to get up to the back entrance straight for the station and goods yards. 

They definitely have electoral registers in Lancaster Library for the 1930 - I looked ancestors up in the 1934 and 1935 ones there, but don't remember how many more 1930's there were - Jackie

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 November 07 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie

You've hit the nail on the head. I know one of the lodgers in 1931 was a labourer and from what I can remember of him he worked for the railway as a wheel tapper in the 40's and 50's. So it's all fitting into place.

The more I look at the bits and pieces that have been told to me over the years I think family members from at least 2 if not 3 branches worked in the boarding house.

My Mum told me that when she was sent for convalescence to Morecambe circa 1927/30 aged about 7 they couldn't accommodate her at 192 so she stayed at ? a few doors away and they were related I think through marriage. Aaarh! Can't remember what the number was.

Wonder how many bedrooms they had. From what I can remember from the outside they look average but I know that some of these Victorian houses were quite large inside.

Thanks once again Jackie. Can't wait to see what Aulus finds.

Margaret

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 November 07 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret, me again, I'll be able to get to the library on Monday (I live in Skerton, so on the Morecambe side of the river but nearer to Lancaster town centre). 

Euston Rd is one of those roads with a sort of faded elegance, a lot of big houses that must have looked quite grand when they were new, but over the years have turned into shops, flats etc.

Jackie, do you know if the house numbers for Euston Rd are still the same? If so, could get a photo of no. 192 at some point as we often go that way to shop at Netto!

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jackie464

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 November 07 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara - I am pretty certain that they have stayed the same - no real reason to change them at that end.

As to how many bedrooms they have - well as a seaside boarding house - long before health and safety ruules - your guess is as good as mine!    I remember looking at a similar one on Thornton Grove in Morecambe - many years ago - which we were thinking of buying to restore - and that had the understairs 'hoover cupboards' on each landing with a fitted matress in and were classed a s single letting rooms!!  I remember looking a what was really a more cklassy one in Colwyn Bay and they hasd done the same - they said they did a great trade letting them to reps - who would sleep anywhere to make money out of their allowance.

We did own a large Victorian house on Cross Cop - and that had huge rooms - there were four bedrooms on the 1st floor and three on the 2nd  - in those days I would have suspected that at least five of those rooms in the past would have been panelled and split into two - then there were four basement rooms - so more letting bedrooms!! And then there were three big reception rooms - one for the lounge, one dinning and the other to split into two bedrooms - so I recon at that rate that house would have made at least 18 letting bedrooms and that is without the hoover cupboards!!  Jackie