Author Topic: Glenzier Lodge, near Canonbie  (Read 4381 times)

Offline HBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Glenzier Lodge, near Canonbie
« on: Sunday 04 November 07 04:14 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather, Richard Telford, was born at "Lodge", Canonbie parish,  in 1837.  Investigation revealed the place was Glenzier Lodge.  His father John Telfer/Telford was a farmer.
The Glenzier stream flows west of Canonbie and there are several places/farms with the name Glenzier - eg Glenzier Garden, Glenzierknowe, Glenzier Hall, Glenzierbeck.   
I wonder if there is still a place or farm with the name of GLENZIER LODGE, or just LODGE.
Does anyone know that area well enough to solve that mystery?
HBelle
Australia

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Glenzier Lodge, near Canonbie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 November 07 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello HBelle and welcome to RootsChat!

Presumably you have Googled and have found references to Glenzier Lodge or Lodge, Canonbie.

Including at:
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/longtown19/marriages1800-19.html
"February 9th 1811 CJ
At Cannonby church on the 29th ult, Mr William Scott, Arnlea, to Miss Jane Telford, Glenzier Lodge."

And at:
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/DUMFRIES-GALLOWAY/2002-06/1023660555

And that your interest is only in whether there is a present day Lodge/Glenzier Lodge?

JAP

Offline HBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 November 07 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for your reply re Glenzier Lodge.
I had that record of Jane Telford's residence when she married William Scott  1811 - she was my great grandfather's aunt (d/o William Telford & Jane Routledge)
I am interested to find out if anyone else has a connection with "Lodge" and if there is a farm dwelling still there.
HBelle

Offline eltelf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 August 08 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hello HBelle - I am looking for family of my ancestor William Telford, born 'Dumfries' 1782.  I have found a William Telford born 1886 in Canonbie, Glenzier Lodge, son of William Telfer and Jean Routledge - I think this is your family; if you (or anyone else reading this) have any information on this William Telford I would be grateful - even if it is just to rule out any connection.  My William Telford born c 1782 moved to Coldhingham in Berwick where he married in 1809.  Thank you,

Lesley Telford

Offline eltelf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 August 08 20:13 BST (UK) »
Apologies, I meant of course that I had found a William Telford born 1786.  (Only a hundred years out . . . )

Offline HBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 August 08 01:27 BST (UK) »
Greetings Lesley,
Your William Telfer/Telford seems to be a brother of my ancestor John Telfer/Telford, who had the parents that you mentioned.  I have recorded a William Telfer b 2 April 1786, Canonbie parish, with no further information about him.
My John Telfer married Jane Bell 1827 and they moved from "Lodge" to Caulside, Canonbie parish.
What was the name of the person who your William married in 1809?
Helen - nee Telford
Melbourne Australia

Offline eltelf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 August 08 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen,

I am not sure if my William is the same as your William - but here's hoping!

The first definite record we have of my William is when he married Gilles Kerr in Coldingham, Berwickshire in 1809. The only information about his origins we have is that he was born c 1782 in Dumfries, so I am trying to look at all the William Telfords born Dumfries at that time.  I think my WilliamTelford's father was possibly Charles and his mother possibly Ann (based on the naming of William's children), so possibly this is not my William.

Do you have any more information about the parents?

Best wishes,

Lesley

Offline HBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 September 08 06:02 BST (UK) »
Lesley, it seems the William Telfer whom you seek is a different one to the William on my tree.  You have given me two birth years for William.  My ancestors borth William was born 1786, parents William Telfer & Jane/Jean Routledge - no further information re their births or deaths.
I have no Charles & Ann Telfer on my tree.
HBelle

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 September 08 12:58 BST (UK) »
HBelle
It would appear that Glenzier Lodge is still in existence.

If you go to www.streetmap.co.uk, enter Mouldyhills, click on GBPlace and Enter.
You will see Canonbie Church on the extreme right.

From Moulgy Hills, 'walk' along the lane but instead of turning north towards Broadmeadows do straight across.  Follow the new lane to the end - round the bend.
That I think is/was Glenzier Lodge.

For comparison use www.old-maps.co.uk, enter Mouldyhills and do the same  :)

Hope this works and is of help

Regards
Reiver