Author Topic: Logan's of Bonhill - USA ?  (Read 6080 times)

Offline patriciae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Logan's of Bonhill - USA ?
« on: Sunday 04 November 07 21:58 GMT (UK) »
I have a been looking into a story my father told me many years ago, until now I have been unable to find a connection but last week I found in the 1881 census a strange thing.
I was looking for my great great grandmother Janet McGregor married to a James Logan and found them visiting with thier son James born 1849 and wife Mary and thier children, but as I looked down one of the children was born in USA in 1874 the other children born in Bonhill/Alexandria before and after John in USA, so for some reason they came back.
The story he told me was that a family had gone out to USA and were murdered on a farm they lived on. James the father of John had three brothers Malcom, John and Walter, my thoughts were that maybe one of these brothers went out and the family was killed. Sadly my father died in 1991 and there is no family to ask.
I have looked up on LDS site and on imigration but cant find any mention of the family.
Has anybody got any thoughts of where to look.
Bardsley
Glen
McCallum
McGregor
Logan
McFarlane
McIntyre
Archibald

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Logan's of Bonhill - USA ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 08:35 BST (UK) »
I hope that this may help you, I tried to look for the brothers of James -
Malcolm, John and Walter Logan to see if any of them could be found in America to narrow down the State where young John Logan was born.

Malcolm - (born c. 1841 in Balfron) is working at Graystone Farm in Balfron
John - (born c. 1839 in Balfron) is living at home with James and Janet at Haldane Cottage in Bonhill
Walter - (born c. 1849 in Balfron) is living at home with James and Janet at Haldane Cottage in Bonhill

Walter is living at home with James and Janet at Lamond's Land, Bonhill

John and Malcolm not found in 1871 in Scotland, no trace of Malcolm found after 1861 at all.

Logan family in Bonhill as you know.

However, Walter may be the Walter Logan (born c. 1849 in Balfron), Stationary Engineer visiting the farm of William Wells in Inverkeithny, Banffshire. Also visiting is Elizabeth Logan (born c. 1852 in Forgue) and Margaret Resick (born c. 1811 in Forgue). I think that they are Walter's wife and mother-in-law respectively.

IGI has personal resource file showing that a Walter MacGregor (sic) Logan born 10th July 1849 in Stirlingshire, died 28th April 1921 in Berkeley, Alameda, California and was buried 30th April 1921 at Chapel Memories, Oakland, California.

Submission search shows that at a minimum he had a son born in Scotland in 1881 and a daughter born in 1893 in Alameda.

If he is your Walter, then he must have gone to California between 1881 and 1893 which doesn't fit with the return of James's family to Scotland sometime after 1874 but doesn't preclude his family as having been involved in the murder ... ok, see later, seems to have returned to Scotland and then back to California later.

Back to John Logan

On the 13th December 1861, Bonhill after Banns according to the Forms of the U.P. Church, John Logan aged 23, Dyeworks Labourer living at Mill of Haldane married Margaret Couborough, 21 year old Farm Servant living at Woodside. John was the son of James Logan, Watchman and Janet Logan m/s McGregor. Margaret was the daughter of Robert Couborough, Farmer, deceased and Helen Couborough, m/s Meikleham. (Interesting for me personally is that the witnesses were John Meikle and John Wotherspoon - both these people with Bonhill connection are in my tree.)

Next I checked for a death in Scotland using Margaret because of the name combination. I found only one dc for a Margaret Couborough Logan in all Scotland and sure enough she was married to a John Logan. Margaret Logan married to John Logan, Milk Salesman, died 11th February 1868 (aged 27 - so born c. 1841 and the right age) died of consumption after one year at 274, Garscube Road, Glasgow. Only problem is her parents - Robert Couborough, Farmer deceased and Grace Couborough m/s McIlquham. (Say it fast - could sound like Meikleham)

Although I wondered if the mother could be wrong or a step mother or ....  I checked couborough.com only to find no record of any Helen Meikleham married to a Robert Couborough. Not conclusive but I couldn't find any Margaret Couborough with parents Robert and Helen in the census records preceding either.  I am pretty sure that they are the same person, different spelling.

Ok, let's look at California. In 1880, living in Township 5, Amador (possibly transcription error), California there is a John Logan, aged 41 born c. 1839 in Scotland working as a Labourer in a Mill and with his wife Jane W. Logan aged 32, born c. 1848, also in Scotland. Living there also was his brother, Walter Logan, aged 30, born c. 1850 in Scotland, a single ENGINEER.  I conclude that John married again after the death of Margaret but didn't find an mc in Scotland.

In 1900, Walter M(cGregor?) Logan is living with his wife Lizzie and family in Oakland Ward 1, Alameda, California. His year of immigration is shown as 1871 (Lizzie's is 1872, I don't know where they married, didn't find an mc in Scotland)

Also in the same household is is his sister-in-law, Jane L. Logan, born c. 1849 in Scotland and a WIDOW. Seems very likely that she is Jane, the wife of John Logan and he is deceased. Walter McGregor Logan of 960, 41st Street, Alameda was also registered to vote there in 1900. In 1920, Walter is living with his daughter Janet and son-in-law Emil C. Weston in Alameda.  He is shown as married but Lizzie is not there with him, his year of immigration is given as 1869.

Just checked 1910, Walter appears to be a widower living with his brother - head of household is a B. Johnson (1930 census shows Brent Johnson, a Norwegian) and his wife is Jane L. (L for Logan?) Johnson, born Scotland c. 1850. Wonder if this is Jane Logan remarried?

Conclusion - if these Logan's are yours as they look to be, if the reason for James and family returning to Scotland was the murder of one of his brothers then the most likely brother to have been the victim was Malcolm. I base this on both John and Walter being alive in 1880 and the murder probably taking place between 1874/5 - birth of John Logan in USA and 1877 - birth of Ann Logan in Bonhill plus the disappearance of Malcolm after 1861.

Can you share with me who your Glens are?? If they came from Bonhill/Alexandria/Jamieston and/or surrounding, they are very likely to be mine also.

MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline Gene-ee-us

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 January 09 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Coubrough and John Logan are on my web site, Coubrough.com.  I believe Margaret to have been the daughter of Robert Coubrough and Grace McIlquham, rather than Helen "Meilleham" as Margaret's marriage certificate appears to read.

There is a possibility that Margaret was either a "catch-colt" or the legitimate product of a handfast type of marriage. One of Robert's brothers, Malcolm, had a daughter Ann by a woman named Isabella Logan, to whom he was never church married. However, Robert and Grace's daughter was christened in June 1840, which makes her a very good candidate for John Logan's wife.

If you care to have another look, John and Margaret are on the page with Malcolm Coubrough and Marrion Reid, who were Margaret's great-grandparents.
Coubrough, Cowbrough - all variants, anytime, anyplace
MacKay and McLean in Cape Breton, Canada

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Although I wondered if the mother could be wrong or a step mother or ....  I checked couborough.com only to find no record of any Helen Meikleham married to a Robert Couborough. Not conclusive but I couldn't find any Margaret Couborough with parents Robert and Helen in the census records preceding either. 
MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline calcorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 12:47 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was Emma Rebakah Logan married to James Glen at Bonhill in 1871 on her mc her mother was Janet McGregor and James Logan who married in 1832. She died in 1901 aged 50 however I cannot find her bc assume it was 1851. James logan was the name of her father on her mc but Walter Logan was named as her father on her dc ? Can anyone shed any light on this and also the births and deaths of James Logan and Janet McGregor.
Thanks
Glen Dunbartonshire
Logan Dunbartonshire
Archibald Dunbartonshire
McGregor Stirlingshire Dunbartonshire
McFarlane Dunbartonshire
Connell Dunbartonshire, Paisley
Anderson
Boyd
Barrie Glasgow
McAlpine
McAuley Ayrshire, Ireland
McCulloch Muthill
Reid

Offline guiness1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Just noticed the names you are researching Morrison & Connell what area is it that these names come from as I am researching the names as well.  Jen.
Morrison   Hodge
Yule
McNamee
Riddell
Tersini
Holmes

Offline calcorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 September 09 16:16 BST (UK) »
Janet Connell born 1881 in Alexandria. Father William Connell born 1842 married Jane Anderson in Paisley 1865. His father Andrew Connell who married Elizabeth Boyd no futher info at present.

Catherine Morrison who married Robert McAuley in 1889 she may have been born in Creiff in 1868 and her middle name may have been O'Brien.
Glen Dunbartonshire
Logan Dunbartonshire
Archibald Dunbartonshire
McGregor Stirlingshire Dunbartonshire
McFarlane Dunbartonshire
Connell Dunbartonshire, Paisley
Anderson
Boyd
Barrie Glasgow
McAlpine
McAuley Ayrshire, Ireland
McCulloch Muthill
Reid

Offline guiness1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 September 09 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Unfortunately its not the line of Connells i am researching my William Connell was born in Old Kilpatrick and his father was James Connell.  What a pity I wish you luck in pursuing your research thats a good story.
All the best
Jen.
Morrison   Hodge
Yule
McNamee
Riddell
Tersini
Holmes

Offline mcaulaygal

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 January 10 03:08 GMT (UK) »
My first post and not sure how this works:
Catherine Morrison who married Robert McAulay is my ancestor. I have many of the documents for them and family, after extensive research this summer.

Most of this is on Ancestry.com in my tree "McAulay Family Tree". James McAulay and Jane Bruce are the furthest back that I have been able to locate.

On Ancestry.com in my tree are pictures of Catherine and Robert and Lillias Ann Collins McAulay (Robert's mother).

Catherine's "names" are difficult to confirm. She was born Catherine Watt McCulloch to Isabella McCulloch, with no father named. She was living with a family named Morrison in 1871 (Isabella Morrison is not her mother). On Catherine's mc to Robert McAulay, she names her father as John O'Brien. On several of her children's bc she uses the m.s. O'Brien, Bryan, Brien etc. Catherine's mother, Isabella McCulloch, marries Thomas McAulay, brother of Catherine's spouse, Robert.

Should I upload the photos and a GEDCOM here or do interested parties have access to Ancestry.com

McAulay
Collins
Bruce
McCulloch
Boland
O'Brien
Thomson
Armstrong
Watt