Author Topic: Finding records older than 1837  (Read 1745 times)

Offline SusieN56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Finding records older than 1837
« on: Wednesday 29 December 04 06:53 GMT (UK) »
I have done very well using 1837online, and the online census records.
Now I am starting with older information.

I need to obtain a birth certificate that I found through the LDS IGI, from 1820 in Cockerham.  The birth was in July, and the Christening was in August.   

From overseas, how does one get at these older marriage and birth records?
Susanne
Wright - Lancashire
Corless - Lancashire
Cardwell - Lancashire
Fenton - Lancashire
Whitworth - Yorkshire
Tolson - Yorkshire
Geasley - Cobh
Spillane - Cork

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Finding records older than 1837
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 December 04 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susanne

There will not be a birth certificate for 1820.

If you contact the library in Lancaster they will probably have the parish records for Cockerham and they could send you a copy of the parish record entry. it will probably cost you about £1.20. You will need to give them all the details you found on the IGI.

regards

dinkey
TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 December 04 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susanne

The other alternative is to go to your local LDS Centre - there are  a number in your area - If you search on the LDS site
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp
you will find the nearest.

You can then order the film (film number at bottom of your index entry) for a very small fee and browse through it. Most LDS centres have microfilm printers and you can print a copy of the page(s) you are interested in. An added advantage is you may find others from your family on the same film.

There will probably be little else on the film apart from what is given in the index, but it is always nice to see the original (or film of) record. Parish registers often contain comments about the "news of the day".

seasons greetings   :)  :)  :)

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SusieN56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 December 04 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Trish
So what you are saying is that the LDS records, which I found already give me the information from the register, and that is the best I will get?

There is a LDS less than 5 minutes from the house, so I will go in the next day and see if I can get these ordered. I wasn't sure what information they would need.
Thanks
Susanne

Wright - Lancashire
Corless - Lancashire
Cardwell - Lancashire
Fenton - Lancashire
Whitworth - Yorkshire
Tolson - Yorkshire
Geasley - Cobh
Spillane - Cork

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 December 04 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes, basically that is as much as you will get.  Sometimes the birth date (if known) is entered alongside the baptism date but this isn't compulosory - you are lucky!

The baptism register will give date of baptism, name of child, names of parents, abode (often just the town or village) and father's occupation which could be interesting if he wasn't the usual agricultural labourer.  This type of register was only used from 1812 - before then it is usually just x dau of y and z SMITH baptised ............. .

It's always a good idea to check IGI entries against the originals anyway just in case a mistake or assumption has been made.

It might be a good idea to order marriage and burial films if they are available also ........  to see what else was going on with that family.  And don't forget to list any others with the same surname as they might turn out to be relatives.

You can see what other films are available for your parish by searching the library catalogue on the familysearch site http://www.familysearch.org

Good luck

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 December 04 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susanne and Casalguidi

When you go to the LDS centre they will double check that you are ordering the correct film - tis rare to score the wrong one! The folks at my centre will never accept the film number I give, they look it up on their copy of the IGI.

The baptism register will give date of baptism, name of child, names of parents, abode (often just the town or village) and father's occupation which could be interesting if he wasn't the usual agricultural labourer.  This type of register was only used from 1812 - before then it is usually just x dau of y and z SMITH baptised ............. .

In my experience this is more than is often present on the register. Whatever is on the index is usually all that is available - name of child, parent/s - quite often only the father (unless the child is listed as "the bastard son/daughter of mother" - and  the parish. Even after 1812 I rarely saw town or occupation - perhaps I was unlucky with my parish preachers/scribes!

It might be a good idea to order marriage and burial films if they are available

More often than not marriages/burials are on the same film. The marriages have been indexed separately by the LDS and the burials (99%) they did not index. So one has to scroll through the complete film looking for same - takes quite a few hours - but usually very interesting. You also meet lots of other researchers doing the same thing, and together with the LDS folk they are always most helpful.

Enjoy    :D  :D  :D  :D

Trish

PS When the film arrives you usually have access to it for a month, so don't try to do it all at once - sends the eyes a little googly after awhile  :o  :o  :o

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SusieN56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 December 04 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Trish
Thanks for the tip about having access for a month, I did not know that.

The nearest LDS is less than 10 minutes from home, but they are closed until next week.  I have everything printed out, so I will stop by on Tuesday.

Thanks
Susanne
Wright - Lancashire
Corless - Lancashire
Cardwell - Lancashire
Fenton - Lancashire
Whitworth - Yorkshire
Tolson - Yorkshire
Geasley - Cobh
Spillane - Cork