Author Topic: 1901 Census Jeannie HUNTER  (Read 5442 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census Jeannie HUNTER
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 20:08 GMT (UK) »
To get baptisms and other church records you need to know what religion family were and where they lived, then find the nearest churches and see if their records still exist.
Some church records are available on microfilm through LDS- they can be ordered then viewed at your local LDS library for a small fee. You can search LDS catalogue at www.familysearch.org to see what's available (use Place Search button).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kaperc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't find any for Ardstraw Parish, where Lisnafin is located. Most if not all the family was C of I.
England - Todmorden/Burnley: Cooper/Berry, Horsfall, Greenwood, Kershaw, Strachan, Hargreaves, Platt, Barcroft, Hamer. Derby, Staffs: Grimley, Ison.

England - Somerset: Chivers, Lintern, Memory; Tefft

Ireland - Co. Tyrone: McElrea, Fulton, Forsythe

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 09:50 GMT (UK) »
This is not about your family but there are interesting bits about Ardstraw area here:
http://love-genealogy.com/love-genealogy-generation-08.htm

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 10:20 GMT (UK) »
I have come across a database which seems to have been prepared by a person researching the Fulton name in Tyrone and they have the marriage between Eliza and Andrew as taking place at St Eugenes Church, Ardstraw.

The database can be found:

on the Sheet 1 heading, part way down this google search.

It can be opened with Work Spreadsheet if you don't have Excel.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 11:30 GMT (UK) »
That's great scotmum- might even be other Fultons in Kathleen's family listed there.

Offline kaperc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those links. St Eugene's is the Ardstraw Parish Church. My cousin and fellow researcher posted the Excel files. Believe it or not, we can't link those Fultons to our family - save Eliza and Andrew (we hope). A very kind lady in Ireland went through loads of records while she was doing her own research and pulled anything that might be ours.

That LOVE site is very well written. A friend and possible cousin in Ireland actually mailed his copy of the Abercorn estate records to me to keep as long as I wanted. I was told it's not published in that form anymore and I was terrified something would happen to it! Plus it was contaminated by shipping fumes and I had to de-scent it before I could hold it. Fascinating stuff. I wish I could remember what I read.

I've always tried to keep notes on any people with my surnames in the right area - just in case a link can be made later - my cousin and I have them in a database. I wish we could go back to Ireland with the knowledge we have now and spend a week researching.

Thanks again, everyone.
England - Todmorden/Burnley: Cooper/Berry, Horsfall, Greenwood, Kershaw, Strachan, Hargreaves, Platt, Barcroft, Hamer. Derby, Staffs: Grimley, Ison.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 22:29 GMT (UK) »
One possibility, if no one is able to check the Census for you (or you are unable to order it in at a local Mormon Family History Centre where near where you live - if such exists), Family Ulster offer a Census search based on knowing a name and townland. It seems to cost £5 sterling for them to report findings or £10 for a copy of the actual Census page. See this link:

http://www.familyulster.com/family_ulster_records_census.htm

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Also, although strictly speaking they do not carry out research, from experience of other such departments in other board areas doing just such for me, if you email the appropriate person as listed on the following link under Irish and Local Studies Department (of WELB) and explain you do not live locally, plus give them the info you have (ie name and most importantly - as it isn't indexed by name- Townland), someone there may just be willing to have a look for you:

http://www.familia.org.uk/services/ni/western_omagh.html

Offline kaperc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 November 07 00:57 GMT (UK) »
scotmom, thanks very much. If I can't find someone with access to the census, one of those might work.

TFN,
Kathleen