Author Topic: John Stuart McConnochie  (Read 3999 times)

Offline john.reypert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Stuart McConnochie
« on: Monday 05 November 07 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone come across John Stuart McConnochie and his wife Evangeline married in Cardiff 1896?
thanks John

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Stuart McConnochie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 November 07 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

I thought John McCONNOCHIE married someone else?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,66765.msg272858.html#msg272858

Where did Evangeline come from?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline john.reypert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,
His father John McConnochie died 1889 married twice ,first unclear, second Mathilda, mother of Divid died one year , second John Stuart got married 1896 then so far no further records. I will send full dates later.
Thanks John

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 08:57 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage in 1891 in Cardiff

June quarter 1891    Cardiff  11a 431
John Stuart McConnochie
on same page as
Evangeline Bedford

could this be them?
Jones, Davies, Evans, Williams, Daniel, Thomas - Glamorgan
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs

Offline john.reypert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Welshjo,
Thanks for the reply.
I have that certificate which says that he was married from his Aunt Emma Jaeger's home at 56 Park place , but that 1891 sheet is missing from Glamorgan Records office. It does turn up in 1901 where the house is occupied by Arthur Seccombe the Department Store Proprietor in Queen Street. Of Emma and John and Evangeline there is no sign until Emily dies in Colum Road in 1906 where she was a  housekeeper.
Regards
John

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 18:49 GMT (UK) »
So what exactly are you looking for John?

It would help enormously if you also said what info you already have - i.e. what you DON@T want - saves time finding things you already know!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline john.reypert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,
I agree I did not sernd full details on first posting, but all I am querying is  has anybody come across John Stuart McConnochie and Evangeline after their marriage in 1896.
So far it looks as if nobody has.
Regards John

Offline john.reypert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 November 07 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arran roots,
I show below my musings on McConnochie.
Hope somebody finds them useful.
John
John McConnochie in life and Death

Although it has not been possible to  locate any projects that Charles worked on in Cardiff it is quite likely that the two cousins worked together and Great Uncle John McConnochie was always remembered by the Bells in Berthwyn Street so it is of interest to consider his life’s achievements. John McConnochie  was born in October 1823 in Portpatrick in Wigtownshire in Scotland, the son of David McConnochie (engineer)  and Janet Mcfail. He  was a Chartered Engineer and a member of both the Institutions of Mechanical and Civil Engineering and became a well respected Alderman and Mayor living  in Burgess House in Park Place in Cardiff where he died in 1889 after outliving both his wives.  His first wife has not so far been traced and his second wife was  Matilda Louisa Fredericka Jaeger, a German citizen, who he married on the 8th February 1864 in Cardiff. Amongst the witnesses to this marriage was  Norman Scott Russell, who was at that time running a yard in Cardiff’s  short lived shipbuilding industry.  He was the son of John Scott Russell who spent  an acrimonious period with I K Brunel building the SS Great Eastern on The Isle of Dogs on the Thames.  John Scott Russell is also remembered for preventing both of his  daughters Rachel and Louise from marrying  the musician Arthur Sullivan. The fact that John knew the Scott Russells is an indication of how well respected he was in the engineering industry. John and Matilda’s first child  David was born in September 1865. Unfortunately he died in May 1866 while  Mathilda was pregnant with their second child  John Stuart McConnochie who was born in December 1866.  He married Evangeline Bedford  from Paignton in Devon on the 10th June 1891 when his profession was listed as  “Gentleman”. By then the McConnochie home was No 54 Park Place where he was living with his aunt Emma Jaeger. Strangely although she appears in a Cardiff street directory as resident in this property, the 1891 Census record for Park Place ceases at No.40. and no further record of the McConnochies could be located in the Glamorgan Archives. The 1901 Census record for No 54  shows that it was then occupied by Arthur Seccombe (Silk Mercer) the later proprietor of  Seccombe’s Department Store in Queen Street and Emma could not be located. No 54 Park Place is at present part of Cardiff University Social Sciences Dept.  Emma Jaeger died on the 31st December 1906 at No 60 Colum Road where she was employed as a House Keeper. Her death  was registered by B Howell of 30 Wyeverne Rd in Cathays.
A search of the burial records at Thornhill to locate Emma’s final resting place brought up the interesting point that John McConnochie had purchased two burial plots in Cathays Cemetery. The first Plot  L1364 was purchased on the 19th May 1866 and contains the remains of David McConnochie aged 10 months, interred on the 22nd May 1866, his aunt Emily Jaeger aged 25, interred on the 31st August 1866, his mother Mathilda McConnochie aged 41, interred on the 6th January 1878, and John McConnochie interred on the 30th March 1889.
 The second plot L1382 was purchased  by John McConnochie on the 26th November 1869 and remained unoccupied until Janet Lennox Taylor, aged 22 was interred on the 10th October 1878, to be followed shortly by Wilhelmina Taylor aged 24 on the 29th November 1878, and Emma Jaeger who was interred on the 3rd January 1907. One wonders why John McConnochie would purchase this second  plot which was to remain empty for so long, and indeed who the  Taylor girls were. The Death Certificate for Janet Tailor indicated that she died from TB on the 6th October in Park Place, obviously a neighbour of John McConnochie, and she was the daughter of the late Alexander Taylor, an Engineer. The death Certificate for Wilhelmina Taylor indicated that a major  tragedy had befallen the Taylor family. She was found drowned in the Glamorganshire canal in Cardiff on the 27th November 1878 and according to the Coroners Inquest on the same day she committed  suicide whilst of unsound mind. The death certificate indicates that she was a Spinster, and no relationship was indicated. A search of the 1871 Census showed that then Alexander Taylor and his family lived in No 13 Augusta Street and he was the Mechanical Engineering Superintendent of the Chain and Anchor Testing Station, indicating a position of some importance on the docks. Whilhelmina was not present at the census and Alexander was a widower and employed a housekeeper.   One can only assume that John McConnochie in offering the use of his burial plot was helping out the family of an old colleague who had fallen on hard times, or perhaps the were both masons. There is no death listing for Alexander Taylor on FreeBMD.
No  records have been located for John Stuart McConnochie and his wife since their marriage

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 November 07 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I see from the 1881 & 1891 census that Evangeline came from Scotland so I think this could be them in the 1900 United States Federal Census.

Census Place:  Riverside Precinct 8, Riverside, California
Roll:  T623 96
Page:  8B
Enumeration District:  211

John S MCCONNOCHIE
Head
DOB:  ? 1866
Married 9 years
POB:  England
POB of father of this person:  Scotland
POB of mother of this person:  Scotland
Sorry I can't read his occupation but at a guess would say farmer :-\

Evageline
Wife
DOB:  ?  1865
Married 9 years
1 child born, 1 child living
POB: Scotland
POB of father of this person:  England
POB of mother of this person:  England

For both the above,
Year of immigration:  1891
Years in US:  9

Inez
Daughter
DOB:  June 1891
Single
POB:  Cal
POB of father of this person:  England
POB of mother of this person:  Scotland

I can also see this family in 1910 where John is a Civil Engineer, I'm sorry I have to go out now but i will transcribe it for you when I get back if no-one else has already done so :)

Regards
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)