Author Topic: SHAWCROSS-Gorton and surrounds  (Read 7884 times)

Offline steve21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SHAWCROSS-Gorton and surrounds
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 February 05 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Mike

you can contact me on sshawcross21@aol.com.  Looking at the Shawcross's in Gorton many of them seem to have come from the Irlam/Flixton/eccles part of Manchester/Salford.

Before that they are all supposed to be tracable back to Shallcross in Derbyshire and coming up into the Manchester area by two routes to the north and east through  Derbyshire paticularly Glossop into Cheshire through Mottram and then down the river valleys into Manchester. I have one Shawcross in Mottram that will be from this line and who I'm brickwalled on.

My main Shawcross line come the other route up through Cheshire to the west side of Manchester where a main branch settled in Flixton. From there they went east particularly on the Irwell Valley and later on the Manchester Ship Canal to reach Irlam. Eccles, Salford, Manchester and areas further east and south such as Stockport, Gorton, Openshaw, Droylesden. ( I used to work in Eccles and the Shawcross's still have an auction house there, it may be worthwhile contacting them to see if you are related).

The two lines meeting up again particularly in Stockport, Hyde, Dukinfield and nearby areas.

Shallcross pedigrees has many of these lines but is far from complete as it was printed by subscription so if your Shawcross ancestors were not rich enough to afford an entry they just did not get in. Mine from Irlam did not get in apart from my 3x great grandmother Aves Shawcross (nee Wilkinson), her son Joseph and mother-in-Law, Ann shawcross (nee Edgeley) which the book mentions being buried at St. James Gorton. I'm also brickwalled on this line once they get back to Irlam. The Mottram Shawcross did not make the book either although her husband's family might be in  but its making the connection.

If you can get hold of Shallcross Pedigree's it will be well worth your while even if your family is not in there. I'd buy a copy for myself if I could find one for sale expecting to pay several hundred pounds ie in xs of 1000AS$ for a copy. At those sorts of prices you need to see it on loan first before you attempt to buy.

STEVE

Offline mike4301

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 February 05 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi steve
 Thanks again, I will email you soon. I tracked down a guy on google who as a Shawcross site. In it he says he has it  Shawcoss pedigrees on CD. I have emailed him but had no reply as yet. If i get a reply I will let you know how we can obtain it if possible. I will email you as soon as i get more info, I will talk to my mum, she is always coming up with new family members I dont know. I should give her a notepad ;D to write down everyone she knows. She told me the other day about Shawcrosses on Chapman street who were related, didnt you have some there on your tree? hope you find my family in your photocopy. I will keep you posted on anything else. Unluckyly a family member Amy Mitchell recently passed, she was a Shawcross. She told me once she thought the Shawcrosses came from Horwich. I know she had a nephew Richard Shawcross living in Colchester a few years ago too. She wasnt very fluent with any other info though, I think some people are worried about what we will find 8) bye for now Michael
HALL,Lancs,Staffordshire
SHAWCROSS Newton Heath,Gorton, Openshaw
WIGLEY Wirksworh, Lancashire
BRADSHAW Lancashire

Offline steve21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 February 05 11:22 GMT (UK) »
William and Aves were at 6 Chapman Street on the 1901 census with their son Charles Henry, wife Alice and 4 children; Aves, Stanley, Arthur Bertram and Charles Henry. I did think William's mother died at that address but am almost certainly wrong.

If we could obtain Shallcross pedigees on CD even at £20/40AS$ that would be a bargin, just hope it pans out.

e-mail me direct on sshawcross21@aol.com to save going through rootschat.

STEVE

Offline erznmine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 November 05 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Mike and Steve,

If you would both like to email me direct at Moderator Comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the secure personal message system to share email addresses and other personal material. Thank You, I can help you with the Shallcross Pedigree's on CD ...

Please make sure you include Shawcross in the Subject line.

Elaine ;-)
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Researching:<br />Pennell: Devon <br />Pannell: Devon<br />Shawcross: Lancashire

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 December 05 15:54 GMT (UK) »
hiya folks,i have 16 shawcrosses all barring one came from the areas you mention,one is a gorton lad.
albert shawcross lived at 14 ross st,west gorton,his parents were jack and hannah,he was a soldier in the manchester regt.
albert yearsley,brother of alice hebbs[nee yearsley] 7th manchester regt,145 craig rd,gorton.
mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 December 05 17:10 GMT (UK) »
heres the first two.
private albert shawcross
2nd manchester regt
killed in action 20-10-14
No 2423
parents jack+hannah,17 ross st,west gorton
named on le touret memorial to the missing
born ardwick
enlisted in chester
age 20 when he died.

private albert shawcross
1/10th manchester regt
killed in action 6-11-16
No 2392
age 26 when he was killed
buried in kantara war memorial cemetary,egypt,grave ref A.91.
parents alfred [born gorton]and elizabeth [born hull]
enlisted oldham
lived ashton under lyne
mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline steve21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 December 05 17:19 GMT (UK) »
The second is my probably great grandfathers brother.

My grandfather was also a Jack Shawcross, as was my father.

You are probably realated to my Gorton Shawcross's

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 December 05 17:52 GMT (UK) »
steve,ime not a shawcross,i saw that you folks were looking for shawcrosses and i had the names of some from my database,so i thought i would post them in case they were of any help to you,mack
ps do you want the rest

Offline steve21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 December 05 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Can you please post them on this website, as they may also be of interest to Elaine

Thanks

STEVE