Author Topic: Bastardy Bonds Look-up  (Read 1101 times)

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Bastardy Bonds Look-up
« on: Wednesday 07 November 07 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, if anyone is going to Bedford Archives & could spare some time to look through the Bastardy Bonds, I would be very grateful.

I have baptism of James Bailey on 13 September 1767 in Odell, mother Elizabeth Bailey & I wondered if the father's name might appear in the bonds.

Interestingly, there is also a baptism of a Jane Bailey on 3 June 1764 in Odell, mother Elizabeth - I just hope Elizabeth didn't make a career of it, as I wouldn't like to use the 'p' or 'w' words in my family tree.

I'm rather hoping that maybe Elizabeth married the father later, just need his name to progress.  Many thanks in advance.  Regards, TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bastardy Bonds Look-up
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tony,

Odell PR have the baptism of Jane Bailey in 1764 saying she was illeg daughter of Eliz Bailey, a stranger.

There is a marriage of Eliz Bailey by licence on Dec 17 1769 to William Thompson of Wellingore ? Lincolnshire.   

As to going to the Beds Archives - not this side of the new year, I'm sorry to say.

Regards John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bastardy Bonds Look-up
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply John.  I wonder if Elizabeth bumped into the same stranger again in 1767 to produce James?  :o

I presume the marriage is also in Odell & is Elizabeth's father's name recorded?

Not to worry about archives, it's a long shot, just hoping someone could spare 5 minutes while they were there.  Regards, TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.