Author Topic: CRAWFORD FAMILY Immigration to Australia 1837  (Read 3704 times)

Offline gidget37

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CRAWFORD FAMILY Immigration to Australia 1837
« on: Saturday 10 November 07 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I do hope someone can help me in this research.
I have the Crawford family.
Father Charles Crawford age 30
Mother Jane Crawford     age 29
Son Alexander                 age 14
 "    Charles                     age 12
Daughter Mary                age 10
    "          Ann                  age   8
    "          Barbara            age   6
    "          Jane                 age   4
Son  Andrew                    age   2

All arriving in Sydney, Australia 13/7/1837
Parents born Aberdeen, children  born Dundee. Scotland
I have only been able to find a marriage of Charles Crawford to Jane Morison at Saint Nicholls, Aberdeen, Scotland 29 Mar 1821
A birth for a Charles Crawford Peterhead,Aberdeen, 3/4/1806
And a birth of Barbara Hill Crawford 1/6/1829 with parents Charles and Jane Crawford. St Nicholls,Aberdeen.
I have not been able to find any birth records of the other children, or Jane Morison.
From the marriage and shipping records it appears Charles and Jane were only 15 and 14 years of age when they married is this common in Scotland?
HELP  PLEASE, ???  gidget  ???
Coleman, Sussex,Hodson Manchester,Tanner Gloucester, Dunbar Aberdeen Scotland.Porter Perth Scotland.Styles Aberdeen Scotland

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: CRAWFORD FAMILY Immigration to Australia 1837
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 November 07 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,
It is a tough one..
Have you found the deaths of Charles and Jane in NSW?
if so did they name their parents.
Or...have you traced all the children in Aus......there childrens names...
there could be a clues for us to help with the search..
Jo
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline gidget37

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 November 07 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo, thanks for your quick reply. :D
Yes I have traced most of the children etc in Australia. Those that seemed to have survived that is.
And yes I have the deaths of Charles and Jane in Sydney, their parents are not mentioned on death certificates.
Barbara Crawford became a part of Australian History in her own quiet way. She left her home in Sydney and went to what is now Queensland at the age of 12 with a man much older than her, she later claimed they married, no records of it. A few years later they were ship wrecked while sailing up the Queensland coast. Barbara was the only surviver and was saved by aboriginies and lived with them for about 5 years before she was rescued and returned to her parents. Two of her sisters were sent to Western Australia about the same time as Barbara went north, after that their father Charles was imprisoned for one year for receiving stolen goods. The youngest child died soon after arriving in Sydney in 1837. I have not been able to track the sons, perhaps they went to sea. They are not on NSW records. Charles Crawford was a tinsmith in Sydney town before he died. The ages of Charles and Jane on their death certificates match the ages on arrival records.
Regards gidget  :)    ps I am in Australia
Coleman, Sussex,Hodson Manchester,Tanner Gloucester, Dunbar Aberdeen Scotland.Porter Perth Scotland.Styles Aberdeen Scotland

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 November 07 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Wow!!

It might take a process of eliminations...back in Scotland....the ones that you have found...maybe we can try and see if we can find them.....still in Scotland and put a cross next to them....we could try with Barbara Hill Crawford...and see if she turns up .later in census ..if she does then we know she is not your family or her parents...
it is a start anyway.
I was wondering.....in regard to the children....have you got any marriage certificates ..they should say the mother (jane) full name.....whether she was a Crawford or Morison..or another name.
Jo also from Aus

I decided to remove the article from rootschat....as there are a few errors....in the book...according to Gidget.

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 November 07 09:04 GMT (UK) »
removed

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 November 07 09:06 GMT (UK) »
removed

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 November 07 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,
Now that you have confirmed that the mother of the Crawford children was Jane Morrison..
 I found one more child...
Jane Crawford C: 1 Jul 1832    pops up with father Clark and mother Jane Morison. St Nicholas.

Clark has most likely been mistranscribed....Clark for Charles.
regards,
Jo

Offline Elizabeth A King

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 September 21 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi ,im looking for a jane Crawford c:1830 to a Charles Crawford & jane Crawford (nee Stiptoe) Jane crawford married a michael crawley in 1949 & then a george smith in 1882,died Dubbo 1917 ,
alot of people have associated her with the Crawford's who came to Australia on the john Barry boat in 1837,   but that charles crawford and jane Crawford (nee Morrision) but it seems to be 2 different families that people have combined into one family , anyone researching crawford ,i was wondering if anyone has came across these Crawford in their searchings as john Barry crawfords their jane went to Western Australia ,i have jane crawford death cert saying father charles crawford mother jane stiptoe ,her son george smith was  information provider ,Thankyou