Author Topic: Trying to find girlfriends relatives  (Read 1075 times)

Offline macca007

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find girlfriends relatives
« on: Sunday 11 November 07 11:31 GMT (UK) »
My girlfriend lost her mum when she was only 4yrs old.  She has little knowledge of her parents, uncles/aunts ect.  She has 1 brother 1 sister, but like my girlfriend, they have little memory of anything.  Would be great to find out some history, but i find it difficult looking into this kind of thing.  Can anyone help at all.  I know what yr her parents married, when her dad was born and yr he died, and her mums maiden name, but thats about it.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Facts,  parents names, sydney foulkes b 01/07/1907
elsie foulkes, nee hornby died jan 1963 aged 40
married in horwich, bolton 1950
sydney died 01/08/1972 bolton
think elsie's mums maiden name could have possibly have been critchley
sydney elsie lived in stewart street bolton around 1960
sydney was a nightwatchman in 1957

Will be trying to get their birth certificates this coming week which will have more detail

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find girlfriends relatives
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 November 07 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi macca007

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Start with what you know for certain, and work backwards.  You don't say what dates you're looking for, but you'll need to find her parents' marriage certificate, then her parents' birth certificates to find their parents' names, then their marriage certificate, etc. Work backwards until you can find them in the census, latest is 1901, which will show them with their families.

Have a look at the useful links on the Beginners pages to see how to go about finding certificates, and which websites to use
here's one http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,3996.0.html

Kind regards, Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline macca007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 November 07 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Will do that.
Problem i have looking on sites is, they normally want you to join and pay a membership by debit/credit card, which i dont have.  Makes things very difficult

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 November 07 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Try ancestry.co.uk, freebmd, familysearch.org, they're free

Not done to post details of living relatives here in case of upsetting anyone, but feel free to put details of any older ones, and someone on here will look them up for you.  For living relatives, send me a pm with the details by clicking on the little green symbol under the poppy picture on my posting, and I'll see what I can do

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline macca007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 November 07 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Barbara

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 November 07 13:09 GMT (UK) »
A good rule is not to put people in touch with living people, we simply do not know the reasons behind these requests.

We could be putting people in touch with people who have been placed under protection of the authorities or the Police.

This is nothing personal, but if someone has been adopted or placed with foster parents etc., there is a formula for contacting them through the Social Services and the Courts.