Author Topic: HOTCHKISS around Acton Scott  (Read 4160 times)

Offline Jason Hotchkiss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HOTCHKISS around Acton Scott
« on: Wednesday 24 March 04 20:50 GMT (UK) »
My GG Grandfather John Hotchkiss settled in Swansea, but gave his birthplace as Marshbrook Shrops on 1901 census. I've not located his Birth certificate but have a likely match for his parents.

William Hotchkiss(b1817, Acton Scott) married Mary Ann Hotchkiss(b1814, Condover) in Shrewsbury St Julian. Williams father John Hotchkiss, Blacksmith. Mary's father Richard Hotchkiss, Farmer. Children William(1841) Richard(1843) Mary (1844) Susan (1848) John (1850). The family are living in Whittingslow in 1851.

I have an inkling Mary Ann died in 1851 and William went on to marry Ann Deavey and have at least one child (a son James) but still need to confirm. Is anyone out there researching the same Hotchkiss lines? I have other information and would like to compare notes!

Cheers
Jason Hotchkiss

Offline kev5395

• Please contact support for help with password
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: HOTCHKISS around Acton Scott
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 August 04 19:57 BST (UK) »
My G.G. Grandparents Joseph Price and Hannah Hotchkiss were married 09/01/1850 in the church of St Alkmond. Hannah was born around 1822 in Acton Scott and her father was a blacksmith- John Hotchkiss. Perhaps there is a connection here?

Cheers
Kevin Price
We can see that you have applied for a new password, sadly we are unable to send you a new one because the email address we have is not working.

Offline Jason Hotchkiss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 August 04 21:03 BST (UK) »
Yes, there is most definitely a connection. Hannah is the sister of William, my g g g grandfather. I know she had at least two daughters Jane and Emma as they are named in the will of Joseph Hotchkiss, their uncle. Joseph took over the smithy after his father.

Have quite a bit of information on the family since my first post, but I have still not been able to find out where John Hotchkiss (b1775) came from prior to Acton Scott. I think his wife was Mary Jones (b1781) from Culmington.

Love to share information - drop me a line, my email is Moderator comment - email address removed to avoid spamming - please contact using a personal message- please put HOTCHKISS FAMILY in the subject line so it stands out from all the spam!

Offline Dizzy Escape

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 November 04 18:43 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandmother, Susanna Disley, nee Jones, named William Hotchkiss (farmer) as her father on her marriage certificate in 1868.  Since according to the 1871 Census, Susanna was born in Wentnor, I checked the 1851 Shropshire Census and found her aged one, living with her mother, Mary Jones, an unmarried 26-year old housekeeper to William Hotchkiss, a 60 year old farmer of 37 acres.  So I am assuming Mary is the result of a relationship between William and Mary.  William would have been born c. 1790.  Can you give me any further information about the Hotchkiss family around this time and prior to this date?
Anglesey & Denbigh: Hughes,Davies
Berks: Cheeseman,Monger,Hussey
Cornwall: Treloar/Trelowath
Devon: Hamlyn
Essex: Stace, Hummerstone, Dixon
Flint: Hooson
Herts: Woodcock
Kent: Jones, Bayley
Merioneth: Disley
Montgomery: Disley
Salop: Cleobury, Hotchkiss, Glover, Oswell
Suffolk: Howe,Spark,Gridley
Surrey:Street,Knight,Street
Yorks:Rich,Goodlad,Hargreaves
Wilts: Pike,House,Downe,Eyres,Cole,Appleford, Westhall,Cheesmund
London:Dixon,Steel,Planck,Debrauder,Hamlyn
Ireland:Sullivan, Egan

Offline Jason Hotchkiss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 November 04 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emma

By a strange synchronicity, I was sent a copy of the will of that William Hotchkiss just last week! In the will he leaves funds "for the maintenance, education and support of my natural daughter Susanna Jones, the daughter of Mary Gwilliam the present wife of George Gwilliam". William died in 1859 and was living in Wentnor at the time the will was drawn up in 1855.

William seems to have no children of his own and also left money to his nephews and nieces. From the will we were able to determine he was the uncle of Mary Hotchkiss (my GGG grandmother) who married William Hotchkiss of the Acton Scott Hotchkiss family.

If you can let me know your email address I can organise getting you a copy of the will and other information. You can send me a "private" message through this board

Hope to speak soon
Jason

Offline Lee72

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 March 05 15:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm not connected, but I read this on ancestry.co.uk and it rang a bell hope it helps.

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/message/5538/localities.britisles.england.sal.general/482.754.763.981
Jones - Staffs, Shrops
Gething - Staffs
Pugh - Staffs
Woolley - Staffs, Shrops
Bryce - Co Durham
Wright - Co Durham, Northumberland
Bacon - Warwicks

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 March 05 13:03 GMT (UK) »
just in case it fits anywhere

Fatal accident in Liverpool .

The dangers of sending home unexploded bombs as souvenirs of war were demonstrated last night in Liverpool a Mrs CAMPBELL had received from her son a chauffeur at the front an unexploded bomb dropped from a German aeroplane .

This was being shown to neighbours in the same street in Liverpool, when one person dropped it. There was a terrific explosion with apalling results Mrs DISLEY , in whose house . the explosion occurred was almost instantly killed and her husband and sister-in-law and father-in-law were badly injured . Miss DISLEY so seriously that on admission to the infirmary . it was found necessary to amputate her arm . Mrs DISLEY , who was a delicate state of health at the time was practically blown to pieces , and in and it was a miracle that all the other occupants of the room did not share the same fate , the injured people are progressing favourably
 sylvia
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dizzy Escape

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 May 05 17:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this.  Funnily enough I stumbled across it a couple of weeks ago having finally managed to connect the Disleys of Berriew, Montgomeryshire (into which family Susanna Jones 'Hotchkiss' married) with some of the Disleys of Liverpool and thereby managing to identify my third cousin once removed, who still lives in Liverpool.  She told me about this piece of oral history and I immediately googled it on the computer and found this extraordinary story.  So yes, it is the same family!
Anglesey & Denbigh: Hughes,Davies
Berks: Cheeseman,Monger,Hussey
Cornwall: Treloar/Trelowath
Devon: Hamlyn
Essex: Stace, Hummerstone, Dixon
Flint: Hooson
Herts: Woodcock
Kent: Jones, Bayley
Merioneth: Disley
Montgomery: Disley
Salop: Cleobury, Hotchkiss, Glover, Oswell
Suffolk: Howe,Spark,Gridley
Surrey:Street,Knight,Street
Yorks:Rich,Goodlad,Hargreaves
Wilts: Pike,House,Downe,Eyres,Cole,Appleford, Westhall,Cheesmund
London:Dixon,Steel,Planck,Debrauder,Hamlyn
Ireland:Sullivan, Egan

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 May 05 14:39 BST (UK) »
my meanderings through the internet finds some strange events.
sylvia
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk