Author Topic: Liverpool/Parish Records/Gregory  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
  • my worst fear - I will turn into my 3 x gt grandma
    • View Profile
Liverpool/Parish Records/Gregory
« on: Friday 16 November 07 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Cany anyone out there help/advise?

Have marriage entry for John Potter/Elizabeth Gregory 1816.  Both "of this parish"  No father's names given.  1841 Census gives me their ages as 45/42 - so estimated birthdates 1796/1799.  Am looking for their births - Elizabeth at the moment. IGi has helped me identify 5 Elizabeth Potters around right years 1793/1797. 2 x 1799 and 1802.

What other evidence can I look for?  All suggestions gratefully received.
Davies: Flintshire & Liverpool<br />Williams: Anglesey & Liverpool<br />Hughes: Anglesey<br />Evans: N Wales<br />Street: Lancs & Cheshire<br />Skilling: Liverpool & Ulster<br />Gilfillan: Co Down<br />McNickle: Ulster, Derry<br />Dempsey: Co Derry<br />Bilsborrow: Liverpool<br />Potter: Liverpool
Also special interest in Edinburgh, Whiting and Goodger

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool/Parish Records/Gregory
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 November 07 22:33 GMT (UK) »
The marriage entry presumably since it is 1816 has two witnesses do either of them help?

If you list the siblings of your possible Elizabeth and her children are there any useful naming patterns?  Have you found any of the siblings etc. in the 1841 census.  Is there anyone living with them who might give you a clue as to who to include or reject/

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 November 07 23:02 GMT (UK) »
2 witnesses were no help for me with Elizabeth but I did find that the groom and the 2 witnesses are all listed in 1832 poll book.  Groom and 2 witnesses signed, bride put X.  No evidence of any siblings for Elizabeth.  of the five Elizabeth baptisms I have found  - one has a mother Elizabeth (and that was a 1799 baptism - my main target year) and my elizabeth names child number 7 Elizabeth - . Another Elizabeth born 1802 had a father called John but my Elizabeth's husband was a John so the son John could be named after the father.  Otherwise zilch.

Following your suggestion, (thanks for that) have just re-checked the 1841 census - no clues there.  have also checked Gregorys in 1841 census and looked for other elizabeth's marriages in search of clues but the internet doesn't give enough info.  Sadly i am too far from the archives to check each one out.
Davies: Flintshire & Liverpool<br />Williams: Anglesey & Liverpool<br />Hughes: Anglesey<br />Evans: N Wales<br />Street: Lancs & Cheshire<br />Skilling: Liverpool & Ulster<br />Gilfillan: Co Down<br />McNickle: Ulster, Derry<br />Dempsey: Co Derry<br />Bilsborrow: Liverpool<br />Potter: Liverpool

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 November 07 03:29 GMT (UK) »
Was Elizabeth born a Potter or a Gregory?

Without easy access to Liverpool Record Office you are going to have a problem. Even if you were local it will take some time. The IGI only includes less than 20% of church records for Liverpool around this period. The only safe way is to follow all the Elizabeths until you find them dying or getting married, starting with the church in which they were baptised.

What was John’s occupation in later census? He might be easier to research, as if he had a vote he probably had property and you might find a will from a Potter leaving property to his son that fits. It is also worthwhile looking in directories as again a house owner should be listed.

Ken

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 November 07 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ken.
elizabeth was born Gregory and married John Potter (I have this from birth cert of last child and have marriage entry from church records for John and Elizabeth)

I will see if I can find a will for John but none of his children lived at the address they were in in 1841 so it doesn't look as though he owned it.

I'll do some more on tracing the other Elizabeths - I did look once and found none in 1851 but will look again using the potential marriages (apart from mine, found two elizabeths marrying in 1816 and 1817, then one  in  1821 and one 1830 - maybe I'll strike lucky and find parents living with them.

Checking directories - again there is a limit to what can be done on line
thanks again for your suggestions

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 November 07 11:09 GMT (UK) »
What Church did "of this parish" refer to.

If they were C of E   have you tried Church House in Liverpool  they helped me when the Records Officer were totally unhelpful regarding a  matter.

There are many sites as well that have churches and cemeteries in Liverpool.   All of which have a lot of information in them.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 November 07 11:11 GMT (UK) »
"of this parish" means that they lived in the parish in which they were married.

David
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 November 07 14:46 GMT (UK) »
to Dancing Master - they were married in St Nicholas.  What is Church House?
to behind the frogs:

Was there any limit on the time they had to have been living in the parish before they could say they were "of the parish"?  Is my assumption that they were born in the Parish wrong?  If you moved from one parish to another, would there be any record?  (thinking of something I read about settlement papers)

Thanks to you both for your replies

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 November 07 15:38 GMT (UK) »
For the purpose of marriage residence was for the time that it took the banns to be called, three weeks plus the time before the marriage.

However as you said there were other matters to be considered like establishing a settlement.  On marriage a woman took on the settlement of her husband.  A pauper could be removed to their parish of settlement after the overseer of the poor had posted a notice for 40 days.  After 1795 this could only happen if they became a burden on the parish.

Parishes were known to act to avoid a male pauper marrying and the wife also becoming a new burden.  Thus for example a pregnant woman would be shipped back to her parish of settlement rather than encouraged to marry a pauper husband.

David