Author Topic: Advice on Stockport Resources Please  (Read 5981 times)

Offline yelsel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Advice on Stockport Resources Please
« on: Saturday 17 November 07 15:59 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace my fathers family.  He was born 2nd July 1924 at 13 Mountfield Road, Stockport.

When my fathers mother died and he was put into a home, it would appear that names may have been changed and I have been unable to find any records of my grandparents names as listed on my fathers birth certificate.

Can anyone advise me of any resources I can use to find out the names of the people living in the house at that time.

yelsel

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Stockport Resources Please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 November 07 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello yelsel
I see you joined us this afternoon welcome to rootschat ;D
You don't give your location so i don't know if you have access to the Cheshire/Historical directories in the library.If there was one published for that year,the can find the street you want and who lived in a particular number.I must stress though that only one person is mentioned and that is the head of the house OR the one that pays the rent ;D so if the lady you are looking for was ,lets say staying with relatives she wont be mentioned.Hope this helps, i believe voting registers are handy as well :)

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Mair

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 November 07 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Yelsel

Welcome to rootschat. 

Do you have any further info?  Name of the home, or a school your father may have gone to etc.,  I could ask my mother who lived around there in Edgeley if she knows or can recall anything to at least point you in the right direction.

Mair

Rowland/s- Hughes -Caernarfornshire/Stockport Cheshire
Barnicoat - Cornwall Lancashire Stockport,Cheshire
Jones (!) - Caernarvonshire,NWales  USA - Iowa, Wisconsin, S Dakota.
Thomas - Anglesey, USA Iowa, Oregon

Offline yelsel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 November 07 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello yelsel
I see you joined us this afternoon welcome to rootschat ;D
You don't give your location so i don't know if you have access to the Cheshire/Historical directories in the library.If there was one published for that year,the can find the street you want and who lived in a particular number.I must stress though that only one person is mentioned and that is the head of the house OR the one that pays the rent ;D so if the lady you are looking for was ,lets say staying with relatives she wont be mentioned.Hope this helps, i believe voting registers are handy as well :)

Celia

Hi Celia

Thanks for replying. Sorry about not entering my location, that is now done.  Do you know if the library will look up this information, either by telephone or letter request and if there is a charge for this service, or should I ask in lookup requests if there is someone willing to check on my behalf.

Yelsel

Offline yelsel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 November 07 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Yelsel

Welcome to rootschat. 

Do you have any further info?  Name of the home, or a school your father may have gone to etc.,  I could ask my mother who lived around there in Edgeley if she knows or can recall anything to at least point you in the right direction.

Mair

Hi Mair

Thanks for the offer.  Sadly my father has no recollections of living at this address, this info is from his birth certificate, so he must have left at an early age.  He has no recollections of his father and my grandmother would not talk about him.  She worked as a chef and travelled the country working in various hotels using a different name and was living in Scarborough when she died and my father was put into a home.  My father has checked with the home and they found his registration but his mothers name was different again.  So I am trying to confirm the names of the people living at the house at the time of my fathers birth.

Names as per his birth certificate are:

Father - Mark Webb, glovemaker
Mother - Phyllis Webb nee Lestrange.

Yelsel

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 November 07 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Your best bet might be the electoral registers for 1923/24/25 which should be at Cheshire RO in Chester.

They have a research service but the minimum charge is £20. http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/shop/recoffrequestres.htm?ocid=1004

http://www.familia.org.uk/services/england/cheshire.html

If you post a look-up request on the Cheshire look-ups board some kind person might have a look on your behalf. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 November 07 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying. Sorry about not entering my location, that is now done.  Do you know if the library will look up this information, either by telephone or letter request and if there is a charge for this service, or should I ask in lookup requests if there is someone willing to check on my behalf.

Yelsel

No need to apologize Yelsel it up t members if they want there location be on show ;D
I am not sure if library  staff have time for lookups these days :-\
People seem to have realized what the saying "use it or loose it" means ;D Lookups in the directories only take a few minute's i do it all the time :) So it might be worth asking for one as previously mentioned and you have said,.You can do this on the census and resources look up topic Any main library with a reference room in the area will have the directories.Most also have the voting registers as well,i know ours do.Someone might also P.M you and offer help
So a few choices there for you.You can allways write though,they have to reply,eventually ;D

Celia

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 November 07 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace my fathers family.  He was born 2nd July 1924 at 13 Mountfield Road, Stockport.

When my fathers mother died and he was put into a home, it would appear that names may have been changed and I have been unable to find any records of my grandparents names as listed on my fathers birth certificate.

Can anyone advise me of any resources I can use to find out the names of the people living in the house at that time.

yelsel

Hi Yelsel,
I can have a look at electoral registers and directories for you at Stockport Library, problem is that I won't be able to visit until next weekend. Can you wait until then?
Regards,
Pat.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yelsel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 November 07 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat

Thanks for the offer, that would be greatly appreciated and yes I can wait.  I have been trying to find info on my grandparents for some time now so a little longer is no problem.

Just to confirm the details I am checking for as per my fathers birth certificate.

He was born 2nd July 1924 and lived at 13 Mountfield Road, Stockport.
His fathers name was Mark Webb
His mothers name was Phyllis Webb, nee Lestrange. (We are aware there other spellings of this name, Le Strange and L'Strange)

Would it be possible to check 1924 & 1925 as I have no idea exactly when they moved into this house.

Lesley