Author Topic: Ash Lea Comberton  (Read 3277 times)

Offline Crumble

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ash Lea Comberton
« on: Saturday 17 November 07 16:07 GMT (UK) »
I have a postcard posted in Cambridge in 1909 which shows a picture of a house called Ash Lea in Comberton. The sender was M Custerson.  Would someone be able to look up in a Kellys directory or similar to find out the location of the house and whether the Custerson family lived there?  Thank you

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Ash Lea Comberton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Crumble,
Just spotted your post, and realise that I have CUSTERSON's in my family, though they were at Clavering in Essex.  However, I'll see whether I can find anything about "Ash Lea" at the CCRO today, leaving now...
keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Crumble,
Had a look first of all in the Cambs Directory for 1908, and in the commercial section for Comberton there are listed:
Frederick CUSTERSON gardener
George CUSTERSON butcher
Richard CUSTERSON carpenter
Rubin CUSTERSON farmer

There's quite a cluster of family members from an 1880 baptism onwards (8 baptisms); 5 marriages between 1903 and 1925; and an amazing 14 burials.
I had a look at some of the burials, and it appears that various members of the family who lived (and died) as far afield as Cambridge,  were brought back to Comberton to be interred.  Must be quite a few headstones in the graveyard there with their family name on, but unfortunately I could find no reference to the mysterious "Ash Lea".
I did try a bit of detective work though, as none of those 4 CUSTERSON's in the 1908 directory had an "M" as a forename.  Found a marriage in 1903 in Comberton between William Joseph CUSTERSON bachelor 22 college servant otp son of Samuel, wheelwright to
Mabel GAUGE 17 spinster otp daughter of Sidney, publican
Could this be the M.CUSTERSON who wrote that 1909 postcard, perhaps?  Your guess is as good as mine!
regards, keith

Offline Crumble

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 March 08 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou so much for your time. 
 I think there is a distinct possibility that you have identified the sender of the card.  I shall keep on looking for Ash Lea!
 I don't have Custersons in my family but my mother's family have links with Comberton.

Regards

Crumble

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 March 08 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Crumble,
I enjoyed the piece of detective work on Tuesday morning!  You have a possible suspect, even if the scene of the crime is still a bit baffling...
S.Holmes