Author Topic: Cranford BBC1  (Read 13456 times)

Offline cathaldus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cranford BBC1
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 13:15 GMT (UK) »
We are going to get the usual comparisons between the Bronte girls and Elizabeth Gaskell,  while "Cranford" is on the tele and that will always be a matter of opinion.   I have read both "North and South" and "Mary Barton" and found them to be lightweight.  I recollect that Simon Schama,  in his history of Great Britain,  was affected by the word "clemmed" as used in Mary Barton,  which literally means "starving".   It is in that connexion that I always view the 18th. and 19th. centuries with the advent of the middle classes and the brutal treatment of the working classes.   I must admit I found the first episode of "Cranford" somewhat middle class,  with the Home Counties accents creeping in here and there and forelock tugging self evident.  I do hope it gets better and projects something truthful about my beloved North of England!!

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 14:02 GMT (UK) »
i watched it  and thought it was great.

my fav actress has to be Julie Walters unf. shes not in this but Imelda Staunton and Judi Sench to name but 2 members of a great cast.

oh and Judi Dench's daughter.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 14:12 GMT (UK) »
the fact that I missed the first episode due to a relative arriving before it had started (the television is turned off when we have visitors). Only hope that it is on catch up so that I can still watch it.

old rowley

According to the Radio Times (N W England edition) it is repeated on Sunday 25 November BBC1 5.50.

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Loved Cranford, think I am right in saying that the village of Laycock is owned by the National Trust.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you are right Patrish - and gorgeous it is too!

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 23:27 GMT (UK) »
I have been past it but never actually been there, must make a point of visting  :)
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 22 November 07 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes do!

I do wonder how being owned by the National Trust works - do the people who live their own their homes, do they lease them?

Obviously there will be restrictions to what they will be allowed to do to their properties .... their are some more recently built homes on the outskirts of the village but they are in character ....

just curious .... are there any other National Trust owned villages in the British Isles?

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 22 November 07 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes ... the National Trust owns (I think) Dolaucothi Gold Mines, near Pum(p)saint in Carmarthenshire, in Wales (must check on Google) ... and part of the associated village of Pumpsaint (meaning five saints) ... I seem to remember that the old cottages and houses owned by the trust are all painted in the same colours ... but its years since I went there, so can't quite remember the details.   But well worth a visit to the mine if you are in that part of Wales, with an underground tour (not for those with claustrophobia !)

I guess the peopel who live in the N.T. houses must have them on some sort of lease ?
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 22 November 07 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I guess the peopel who live in the N.T. houses must have them on some sort of lease ?

Lydart -  if you're interested there's a piece about "House Letting Policy" on the National Trust's website at
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-chl/w-countryside_environment/w-land_country/w-land_country-housing/w-land_country-house_letting_policy.htm
There's also some general information about Lacock Abbey & the village and a photo gallery for both.

just curious .... are there any other National Trust owned villages in the British Isles?
Ruskie the link I've posted includes
"The Trust provides a substantial proportion of the housing in more than 40 villages and in some areas we are the principal provider of rural housing."