Author Topic: Doyle/ Murphy  (Read 5980 times)

Offline mary

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Doyle/ Murphy
« on: Friday 31 December 04 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Seeking information and or advice,

Susan/Susannah Murphy was tried and sentenced to 10 years transportation to Van Diemans Land at Dublin City on 29 Oct 1849, she arrived in Van Diemans Land  per "Earl Grey" in 1850.

Her convict records show her as being a widow and her native place being Wicklow, she had a brother Miles and sisters Ann, Ellen and Mary. Susan's convict record states that her brother and sister's were in Dublin at the time of her conviction.

Susan's Tasmanian records indicate that her date of birth would have been between 1826 - 1829.

On Susan's daughter's marriage certificate, she has stated her mother's maiden name as Doyle.

Where do I start, do I look for a marriage of a Doyle to a Murphy, but where? or birth of a Susan/Susannah Doyle in Wicklow?

As she was a widow when she was convicted is it safe to assume that Murphy was her married name and Doyle her maiden name?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers
Mary  8)
Tasmania, Australia

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Doyle/ Murphy
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 November 06 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Mary,

I'm sorry that you have not received a reply in almost two years. I really don't know what to say but I'd better mind my manners .. don't want to upset the moderators who work so hard on RootsChat. If I were to speak my mind some people might be offended and we can'f have that .. this is RootsChat where people help each other.

I feel you deserve a reply after two years.

I'd say you are reasonably safe in assuming Susan's maiden name was Doyle. It's a case of that or a second marriage. I feel, taking her age into consideration, the chances of her being a widow are better than that of a second marriage .

All the best in your research,

Chris